General Hospital: November 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

It sounds like Carolyn to me too, but it is hard to tell lol.  Carolyn/Caroline is fairly interchangeable.  I wouldn't even notice if it wasn't something that personally bothered me.  That's why I go by Carrie for the most part lol. 

Days always had an issue with the name.  John (and a few other characters) would call Caroline "Carolyn" all the time and no one ever corrected or said anything.  I had no idea Jeff/Carolyn were together in 1982 or that she existed as Carolyn back then.  I thought she was made up sometime in the 90's after Liz/Sarah appeared.  

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Even in the comments for that vid you have one that says Caroline and one that says Carolyn lol.

I did know or rather assume that Carolyn was the woman Jeff threw Anne Logan over for (offscreen, eventually told to Anne via a letter that caused her great agony lol) but didn't know she was actually named Carolyn back then until I came across this vid. Obviously whoever in the writers team was involved in Sarah and Liz's creation had a fair idea of the history (probably was working on GH back in the 80s too). In 97 we got references to Monica's marriage to Jeff as well as Emily noting that Sarah's description of Steven-Lars sounded exactly like the old Jason (with Emily not being aware that Jason and Steven-Lars were second cousins).

• Members

Even though Caroline is phonetically spelled it's still considered by most to be the same name.  I would say I am called Carolyn at least 80% of the time by strangers.  Probably because it's the more common of the two names.

Good for GH for actually using history lol.  I don't think I knew Jeff broke up with Anne via letter.  That's cold...

I remember the show setting up Sarah/Liz's backstory pretty well.  I don't fault Emily for not knowing Jason's history.  I swear I didn't know for years Jason wasn't Monica's biological child and Emily just got inserted into the Q family practically overnight.

• Members

A lot of Caroline's I know go by Carrie or Carly (ie Carrie Brady or Carly 'Caroline' Benson) and I don't see Carolyn shortened often.  lt also might be a regional thing with the way people pronounce it.  It's a family name for me, but my sister got named Jenna after Priscilla Presley's character on Dallas which is cooler lol.

• Members

To be fair on Emily, neither Sarah or Jason realised the connection either lol

And it was pretty cold of Jeff to break up with her via letter...poor Anne had just decided she was ready to go live with him outside marriage and well...you know...lol

• Members

I would say it's not a close enough bond for me to really notice or the show to recognize.  It would be nice if they did as that is what the writers should do, but if you didn't tell me-I wouldn't have known.

I just always thought Emily immersion into the Q family was so quick.  I didn't dislike the story, but it was like 0 to 100 in what seemed only to be a dozen or so scenes.   And AT's Emily was always seemed to dislike being a Q which was obnoxious.  She was always rolling her eyes and being sarcastic and I get the family is a lot, but you also should be a little more grateful to the people who aren't letting you be an orphan and providing you with a good life.  Anyhow, literally entirely a different subject, but when I think about young Emily I do think about that.

• Members

I kind of saw that annoyance towards the greater Q family.  Her actual unit, especially with Jason Q and Alan (and Monica to a good extent) seemed much more solid.  The sarcasm seemed more pointed towards the group fighting and Edward being a blowhard, AJ and Ned being shady.

• Members

There was just something kind of snotty about AT's Emily.  Like the family put her out and it was so hard for her.  This is such a petty, trivial thing because I did like Emily, but she was so familiar and annoyed with the family so early on.  It just felt weird how her loyalties lied.

• Members

GOIlkRv.jpg

This story is just annoying.

Please register in order to view this content

It took 25 years to cast Carolyn and thirty seconds for her to disappear. <coughs>  Patricia Spencer <coughs> all over again.   Keep up the good work, #firefrank. Oh, that's right, this is Finn's storyline with a side order of Elizabeth.

Speaking of Elizabeth.   Mad props to Rebecca Herbst  for giving her all in those scenes with  Jeff and Carolyn. Elizabeth left nothing unsaid (and rightfully so), but Imma need a little follow up for her with them to work on Elizabeth healing.  

Making Reiko's illness Elizabeth's fault (transfusion) is ridiculous. Blood should be properly tested even if it was in the Mariana Islands. (A United States Territory--The Northern Marianas). Elizabeth shouldering another burden on her conscience over Finn's dead wife is just another way for #firefrank to prop Finn. Had they just cast him as her step-brother, Steven Lars, we wouldn't have had to spend the last year watching another pairing with Elizabeth that just never had chemistry. Oh , of course, FV needs to create useless characters rather than legacies.

This leads into the need for Lucky back on the canvas. Elizabeth needs a strong pairing with a charismatic actor that returns to connect with his kids, but not save Elizabeth, but to simply be there for her. Lucky should have learned by now that Elizabeth doesn't need a hero, just someone to lean on. Having Lucky around could also influence the Nikolas story and give Laura some support.

The scenes in Jacksonville:

Linda Purl did a good job as both vindictive and apologetic. I think casting her as Carolyn might have been a good idea.  Her apology scene with Carly was well done.

I don't prop Carly or Sonny, but the scenes with Bobbi were also good.

And then there was the beach.  Sorry, but as beautiful as the beach was, Iyanla and Carly bore me to tears. CM is good at hosting, and in the Hallmark movies, even in the early Ryan Lavery days. He's not working for me.  Acknowledging Oscar after a year was boring. No one cared.

Josslyn's love life doesn't interest me a bit. Cam deserves better. A returning pot stirrer Lila Rae would be a nice addition to the Quartermaine Thanksgiving this year. 

Can they just kill off Willow and send Michael off canvas for a while?  

The Holly twist was a surprise to no one.  Emma and Charles have a nice rapport. After all, before he was Shane on Days he was Holly's cousin Alistair.  But, who is Victor holding hostage? 

Please register in order to view this content

I will say that Robert and Diane never crossed my mind. There is an ease between them.

Gladys now visits babies in the NICU. Nice way to make her more tolerable. She's a character I never expected to last so long.

BLQ and Chase are a fantastic couple, but the length of time it's taken to get together was so forced. now that they are together, please bring the annoying Linc story to a close?

The Anna killing Lucy frame up is a horribly stupid plot.  Just asinine.  The only thing it has done is give credence to the idea that Arden could be a killer since she's like a dog with a bone.

Trina is the character I want more of. I want to see a visit with Spencer, and now that Rory has gone off contract, his azz can go...

As universally disliked as Truck nuts is, tying him to Mac, Felicia, Robert, Scott, etc. was a great way to introduce him. (Even if you've gotta futs with the on screen timeline.)

Does anyone honestly care if Spinelli gets caught or about the story at all?  Me neither.

Edited by slick jones