General Hospital: November 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

Only in soaps are long lost relatives and bastard sons given inheritance rights simply due to DNA (or would a billionaire use a criminal attorney to execute their estate).  In reality, you can give or withhold money from whomever you want in your will.  And once a will is entered into probate it doesn't matter how many other versions are written, the only one that counts is the one signed off by the judge.  And, only people specially named in the will can contest it during probate, so Diane's note about AJ is bunk since he wasn't specifically named like Lila, Jason, and the rest.  If Edward (or Helena Cassadine) died without a will, all of his heirs could fight over his money. 

But, after the property has been distributed, how are you going to go after an inheritance that's already been taxed and invested?  Let's say Maya sold her stock after she was granted it in the will, a court couldn't make her buy it back to give part of it to some new found son of Edward who he never met or intended to bequeath funds.  That would be unfair to Maya because she's already paid taxes on it, as well as being taxed on any profits that were gained from re-investing the money from the stock.  Which is also why any attorney would scream at Tracy for opening the box, because once you accept the inheritance, you can no longer contest the will.

Thanks for letting me rant, now I will go back to suspending my disbelief on a show about diamonds that control global warming (even though the Ice Princess was an uncut gem than nobody would ever carve up and set it in a necklace). OK OK, I got it all out of my system and my rant is over!

Edited by j swift

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I like KW. She looks great! They should totally have her mixing it up with some of the actors in their 30s and 40s who are on the show. Whatever they do, they need to get her character out of domestic bliss. 

Edited by Jdee43

• Toups unpinned this topic
  • Members

Oooooo thank you so much for this!!! 

One thing that I have been liking has been having so many people under the Q roof again and fighting/arguing. And I laughed at the recurring theme of Thanksgiving ruined again recently.

I didn't mind the rant. Though I believe Maya was the first to sell Valentin her stock.