DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would say 'No'. In Canada, when a television show airs on a US Network and a Canadian Network at the same time, the Canadian Network's feed is broadcast on both channels - this is called simultaneous substitution and benefits the Canadian Network's ratings and ad revenue. For example, when Big Brother airs on CBS and Global, the Global feed is on both channels. It's also why Canadians never see SuperBowl advertising - the Canadian feed always takes over. 

Global often airs DAYS at 1pm, which lines up with the US affiliate's time (at least on the West Coast it does) so Global may have determined that they want to go with simultaneous substitution for whichever program is going to air on NBC. 

The W Network is available to most Canadians either through cable or streaming and it's a Global sister station and has been the home of all the Beyond Salem content. Another Global station, Slice, has long aired the Real Housewives franchises, whether they air on Bravo or Peacock, so this is par for the course. 

• Members

Who will be handling the renewals for DAYS now, NBC or Peacock? If it's Peacock, then they are definitely getting canceled.

I'd assume the money for this upcoming season is coming from NBC, and that no way can Peacock alone support a daily hour scripted show.

• Webmaster

Peacock is NBC. The executives in charge of Peacock are also in charge of NBC. All streaming services with a broadcast network component are now being run by the same people who will decide which platform each show they develop will be geared for. 

• Members

I predict three things will happen:

1. By early 2023, they'll start releasing a week's worth of episodes rather than daily.

2. As we get closer to summer, they'll reduce to 3-4 episodes a week, which will extend the season a couple of months. By then, the show will have adjusted to producing episodes intended to air on Peacock, not over-the-air TV (for US).

3. If #2 is successful, DAYS will be renewed at 3 episodes a week - probably with a more BS or Port Charles-like form of storytelling.

Getting viewers to invest in 5 episodes a week has always been a huge challenge. I think in the 80s/90s, the average was closer to 4, but those numbers have dropped over time. A very simple way to think about it: if the average viewer went from 4 episodes a week to 3, that's a 25% drop.

• Members

Erika Slezak (Viki Lord on OLTL) Shares Her Thoughts On: DAYS Move to Peacock

Please register in order to view this content

Erika expressed: "I think that's fantastic! I emailed Ron (Carlivati, head writer) when I heard it because he was our head writer. I was delighted for him, and I asked him if he was staying? He said, 'Yes, as far as I know I'm staying!' I think it's wonderful. The whole point of us going online was such a good idea. Unfortunately, it was so mishandled by the producers at Prospect Park. They knew nothing about what our audience was looking for, what THEY wanted. It was about stories and relationships and a lot of our audience was extremely offended by some of the things they were doing. We went through four head writers in three months because they kept saying, We can't write this stuff, or we don't want to write this stuff. The idea behind it, Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz who put it together, was a wonderful idea and we would have been the first to go online (Hulu). It was just five minutes ahead of its time and it was run by
people that didn't know what they were doing. They didn't know how to produce a daytime drama and
they pushed the envelope too far, too quickly, and then they spent too much money and then they ran
out of money."

• Members

I love Erika Slezak and maybe she was right back then… but viewers expect “envelope pushing” on streaming now.  Unless they want to try the Virgin River/Sweet Magnolias route, which I understand is very successful (esp. Virgin River).  I actually thought OLTL 2.0 was, BY FAR, the most modern soap I can imagine.  I was so impressed, and that was head written in the beginning by Thom Racina, who was an older industry vet… it showed you don’t necessarily need new blood for a totally fresh take on the genre.  The only thing that didn’t really work for me on OLTL 2.0 was the tattoo cult, mainly because I don’t think it had the budget to achieve that kind of very large idea.

• Members

Erika was right about AMC/OLTL 2.0 . PP was more interested in pushing the envelope over telling long-term story. 

I think the writers that were hired in August 2013 for both shows were capable of getting the shows back on Track

But PP had like 25-30 Million from one company to produce both soaps

Then they wasted money on catering Daily meals so the casts wouldnt leave the studio and liscened  very expensive music

PP had no Idea what they were doing and when the EP's tried to help they were vetoed.

Personally the sweatong on AMC/OLTL 2.0 didnt bother me because I feel thats how folks talk but the shows did overuse it in spots

Can You imagine what would have been possible if ABC & PP had been on the same page & supportive of this

Then we would have had Natalie visit John on GH and John & Starr visit OLTL

Edited by John

• Members

When you look at how expensive some of these streaming shows are, I wouldn't be surprised if Days is viable for them. By being an ongoing thing, even if they take a summer break, that's 9-10 months of ongoing content which would keep people subscribed. They're spending tons of money on these big budget scripted shows that have like 8 episodes and only drive subscription for a short period of time. If they can make the budget work, the idea of a soap on their platform could be smart long term planning.

@ErrolDo we even have a rough estimate on what the yearly budget of Days is? Knowing that, we can compare it to some of the other scripted shows and see just how viable it would be.