• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, enough GAYNASTY, @Soapsuds, lol.

You're not.

To tell you the truth, I don't know WHY the primetime soaps, save for KL, avoided telling social issue storylines.  I guess the feeling was that those shows were not the place to tell such stories.  They probably felt it was much easier to stick with stories about the rich and super-rich fighting like children over mega-conglomerates.

• Members

Agree with you. Social issues have to be handled responsibly, otherwise the storylines become shock plot devices. Case in point, a writer can't have a rape storyline without treating it as the crime that it is and dealing with the medical aspect and emotional aftermath.

• Members

There were a few HIV / AIDS storylines, particularly on the 90s soaps.

Of course, Dallas didn't have any direct storyline about it but I do recall a scene in the later seasons where JR made a move on I believe Marilee Stone and presented a condom.

Beverly Hills 90210 tackled the issue of course - first with a guest character (Stacy) that had a seminar revealing she has AIDS in the first season. Surprisingly, I believe they made a later season reference to her passing away. Val later had a HIV scare in season 8 (?) after a one night stand (of course), which turned out to be negative. Kelly also had a storyline when she worked at a hospice meeting a gay man with AIDS. In typical later season Kelly style she managed to be utterly unlikeable throughout.

On Melrose Place you had a character who was an IV drug user and scam artist hook up with Jake in the early episodes - she later returns and reveals she had contracted HIV and gave Jo and Jake a scare. Jake promised to totally keep in touch with her but was never seen again. DoorMatt had a boyfriend Jeffrey (Jason Beghe) who was retired from the military after contracting HIV. He was so boring even DoorMatt couldn't stand being in the same storyline.

Both shows had random "mind if you wear THIS" type of condom scenes.

• Members

Dallas

Sue Ellen's alcoholism was the only social issue that was told in real time for several seasons.

It was a shame Pam's problems with having a child never got more development...but it was a story thread that wasn't tied up neatly.

And it was a shame that Donna and Ray's adoption story was during the dream season.

I can't think of any other social issues.

• Members

I feel like Knots Landing's early seasons were much more "social issue" forward than the other primetime soaps in an effort to differentiate itself from Dallas.

Aside from the middle class dealing with money and relationship issues, we had Richard's emotional/financial breakdown, Gary's alcoholism, Laura's rape, and Abby's custody issues, and even some illusions to sexual fluidity with Ciji.

In later seasons they wrote about Anne's homelessness, Jason's abuse within the foster care system, and the memorable bottle episode about Olivia's teen-aged drug abuse.

Overall, I remember Knots for the balance of unrealistic organized crime stories (what syndicate kidnaps twins in order to get oil reserves?)  with more family-driven social issues.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Dallas also tackled euthanasia, when Ray pulled the plug on his cousin Mickey. And I guess Miss Ellie's breast cancer and mastectomy also counts as a social issue.

Just that one episode when Lucy was engaged to the guy who was gay.

And considering all the rumors that have gone around over the years, would Larry Hagman have allowed a recurring gay character?

Edited by AbcNbc247