Social Issue Storylines on the Primetime Soaps

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yup, I think so.  Corley, who had once worked as a doorman at Studio 54, had no issue(s) with portraying a gay man.  But, like I said, the network became skittish; and the next thing anyone knew, Steven was involved with Claudia AND Sammy Jo.

• Members

exactly, he knew the character was representing a minority, he knew he was doing something important, and was fed up when they ruined it, just like Donna's Down Syndrome Baby story on Dallas dream season, i heard the actress was pretty mad

when they aborted it

also i apparently Forgot about Sue Ellen's drinking, but i knew she would be mentioned after all, she was one of the best representations of such a touchy theme

• Members

In their early seasons, Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place tried to tackle a lot of social issue storylines which were resolved within one episode. Most of these self-contained stories were cringeworthy, yet somewhat entertaining.

At the end of Melrose Place's fourth season, there was this weird child abuse storyline when an old friend of Sydney's appeared in town with her little son, who had bruises on his back. That storyline lasted like 3 episodes and was probably merely created to introduce Jo's love interest Dominick with whom she left town a few episodes later. At the same time, they also had that rather cartoonish statutory rape storyline involving Peter, Michael and a character played by Denise Richards. In season 5, the show did a domestic violence storyline with Matt and his boyfriend-of-the-month, and Matt trying to gain custody of his boring niece Chelsea could also be a called a social issue storyline. As in typical Matt fashion, both stories were C-material at best.