Ratings from the 1990s

kalbir

• Members

Frasier has aged very well - aside from some dated clothing and technology the show is quite timeless.

I agree about Home Improvement. I don't think it had a comparable political sensibility to Roseanne. Tim Taylor had a TV show, a comfortable suburban house, three 'wholesome' sons - it definitely was a Trump ideal family. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Fox network firsts

End the season in the Top 30: The Simpsons (28th, tied w/ Night Court and Doogie Howser, M.D.) in 1989/90

End the season in the Top 20: The X-Files (11th), King of the Hill (15th), The Simpsons (18th) in 1997/98

End the season in the Top 10: Joe Millionaire (3rd) and American Idol (Tuesday 5th, Wednesday 6th) in 2002/03

End the season at #1: American Idol - Tuesday in 2005/06

• Members

On the one hand, it was an unprecedented feat that will likely never be repeated.  On the other hand, I feel like "Hearts Afire" and "Love & War" definitely suffered from structural flaws, which is why it didn't surprise me when both shows were retooled heavily in subsequent years.

Yup.

Yup.

• Members

Poor LS.  They never get the proper credit for doing the young-professionals-in-the-big-city concept before "Friends" and "Sex and the City."

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest googling TC Carson (Kyle) and reading all about his struggles in maintaining dignity with his character against a network and production company that continually tried to paint him as the stereotypical buffoon.  It's enough to make you throw something out the old window.

• Members

I mean, I know Jan Hooks is in there near the end, so that's hard to resist. I've only seen a handful of full episodes over the years, though I of course know Linda Bloodworth-Thomason.

I remember we discussed LS a while back around here when the constantly-in-limbo revival kept getting in the news. I think it was Kim Coles who said the one castmember dragging their feet on the revival was 'not who you think.' I hope it happens someday. I am very glad, at least, that Erika Alexander has reemerged in TV (Queen Sugar, etc) and in comics and genre work in a big way in the last decade.

• Members

Exactly.  Those shows -- "The Beverly Hillbillies," "Green Acres," "Mayberry R.F.D.," etc. -- were still doing reasonably well for CBS; however, the perception at that time was that CBS' demographics were becoming too old and too rural, so they had to go.

Enter "All in the Family" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."

• Members

Agree.  Unfortunately, JH joined at a time when the show was on very shaky ground.  They were so preoccupied with weathering the cast departures and building up Julia Duffy as a worthy successor to Delta Burke's antagonist role that poor Jan got lost in the metaphorical shuffle.  Carlene never got the attention that she deserved.

Edited by Khan