ALL: Standalone Episode for Viewing

• Members

I need your help! I talk so much about soaps that I have convinced a friend of mine to come over and watch two episodes. I am tasked with picking two episodes that really showcase what soap operas are all about. Now, I will obviously fill him in about storylines and events that led up to said episode, but I'm having trouble picking an episode that would be great on its own. I really don't mind which soap. I have a fondness for most. My faves are ATWT and GL, but I have watched all soaps on air on or off since 2003. I also love watching old clips that are posted on here. 

Thanks for your help! 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

there are two that come immediately to mind. unfortunately, i can’t give you specific dates, but will describe them as accurately as i can so others might help. not sure i’ve remembered all the details accurately, but i’m pretty sure i’ve got the gist right.

the first is an episode of ‘all my children’ from 1997. kevin sheffield and his friend kelsey jefferson are lying outside looking at the stars and talking about life. meanwhile, palmer cortland is ripping kevin’s mother, judith, who is not taking the news of kevin’s coming out well,  a new one in front of the country club crowd. can’t remember what the third thread was.

amc won best writing and show that year, am i’ve always thought this was the episode they submitted. in both episodes, the plot moves not a millimeter. but the conversations between and among the characters reveal relationships and contextualize back story, which makes things easier for the blue ribbon panels who more often than not are not familiar with the show. 

the second is an episode of guiding light from the mid-90s. again, a lot of conversation between characters, but virtually no plot movement. my memory of this one is a little fuzzy, but i know bridget has little peter with her, and i believe is talking with roger. vanessa was somewhere in the mix, and there’s still some fall out from nadine’s effort to pass peter off as her own. 

oh, don’t know how i missed this. but, while i was researching dates, i found out that ben jorgenson, who played kevin, died last yeat, sadly by suicide. 

Edited by wonderwoman1951

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations. I believe most of 1997 AMC is uploaded somewhere as I remember finding a channel on YouTube a few years ago with all of the 1997 season. Hopefully, it's still up. 

I would still be interested in what you shared. 

• Members

For me, it would be something like Tricia shooting Ryan during his wedding to Victoria; or Days' Greta's coronation episode when everyone gets shot. Or Days' episode when Abe/Lexie give Zach back to the Bradys. 

I showed Cassie's death episode to my Mom, who never saw Y&R ever in her life and she was really glued to the screen and cried. 

Tornado episode from 1994 on AMC

EDIT: How could I forget.. one of the soapiest episodes ever I can remember... Sami/Austin wedding, interrupted by Carrie, who exposes the truth about Will's paternity and then the PUNCH that happens.. so campy, overdramatic and soapy. 

Edited by Manny

• Members

Along that same line, a DAYS episode from June 1996, billed as "Sami's Secrets Revealed" when Kate exposed Sami's drugging of Austin and scheming to keep Carrie & Austin apart. Meanwhile, across town on the Fancy Face, you have Bo & Hope reconciling and him proposing marriage. The episode was a perfect blend of bombshell drama and schmaltzy romance. 

• Members

I had uploaded Jake's shooting on AW because Anne Heche and Tom Eplin are amazing. Then I realized that it wasn't the full episode leading up to his shooting, it was clips put together. It's listed as "Another World-Jake's Shooting pt 1."

then there's this episode that is entirely Cali Timmins (an awesome Paulina before Judi Evans) and Tom Eplin only, mixed with some flashbacks thrown in. A different kind of episode with just two characters. 

These episodes when they aired hooked me on OLTL and I watched until the end of its run. The writing was just so good. I know it's broken up into 6 parts but the ep I'm talking about starts with Pt 4

Edited by Melroser

• Members

I like the idea of "secrets exposed" as being a good theme for stand alone episodes.

With that in mind, I would recommend GL when Alexandra exposed Roger at the country club (12/2/93 according to soapcentral).  Not only is it a tour de force performance from Beverlee McKinsey, but it serves as a great recap of the story.

Similarly, I would choose John Dixon humiliating Lisa at their engagement party (11/95 again according to soapcentral).  Larry Bryggman was such an excellent actor, and it rare that male characters are given the emotionally driven monologues outside of courtroom and romance scenes and this was a great use of history for the long running character of Lisa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbobwoZNQLo

Edited by j swift

• Members

He's 27, avid reader, enjoys sports. Soap operas are not really up his alley. I know he likes Friends but may be due to nostalgia and connection with his mom. He likes A Fish Called Wanda. The TV show Boys. Big Mouth. These are just things from random conversations we've had. I don't know much of his taste in TV or movies as he does spend a lot of time reading. 

We have become really close friends and he just knows my fascination with soaps so gave me the opportunity to show him two episodes so see what it's all about. 

• Members

I think it would be cool to show two episodes that follow the same storyline but show the passage of time. For example, Nina's baby being stolen on Y&R in 1987 and then her reuniting with the adult Ronan in 2010. That's the real power of soaps, the fact that you can follow the character through the years and get payoffs DECADES later. That's not replicated by any other genre. Another good one might be Laura's rape on GH and then Lucky finding out about it as a teen.