Y&R December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This Chance reads really young to me. That’s not even taking wizened, sun-damaged old Donny Boaz into consideration. NuChance just has a college-dude vibe and voice to me. 

Broken record, but Billy needs a time-out. His latest scheme needs to be his exit story. It’s all too repetitive.

CBS is insane if they think a strong tune-in hook is Abby telling Chance that Victor is throwing him a party. That was their “Next week on Y&R” cliffhanger.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I could write a college-essay-length post on the loss of the art of the cliffhanger (with its baby sister: the enormously spoilerish teasers) in soaps.
There are structural problems that explain why daytime soaps have declined. But there are a gazillion small things that have been done that make things considerably worse. 
I am not mourning some staples of the genre - character with a secret starts "I need to tell you something" fakeouts, the "Character almost finds something out"... only to be interrupted in the first 30 seconds of the next episode - but we have gone so far in the other direction where nothing is left hanging anymore.
Secrets are revealed *within* a show and episodes are self-contained. It is not a continuous story anymore but one-hour chapters.

• Members

Understood.

There really needs to be some other storylines.

A proper story for Faith/Moses.

Some hospital/relationship intrigue for Nate/Elena.

These characters are relatively new  to the canvas and not burdened with years of backstory like many others.

Seeing Jack/Phyllis round 2745 holds little interest at this point.

• Members

I don't think the actor is even 30 years old, so he's almost a decade younger than Melissa Ordway. Funny thing is that in real time Chance is 12 years older than Abby.

When adult Chance returned in 2009, I don't remember if his age was established, but since he served in Iraq then worked as a detective so he had to have been past 21. I know John Driscoll was 28 at the time.

• Members

I don't care how old Chance is all I see is an extremely attractive man and I really want to keep him! 

Please register in order to view this content

He looks perfectly natural as Jill's grandson to me.

But the idiots in charge have him styled all wrong. I get that they wanted him looking a little rough after a bombing, but they made him up like a 21 yr old that lives in his mom's basement. If you look at his Instagram or IMBd page he can look groomed and older.

• Members

Katherine left Chancellor Industries entirely to Victor in her will.  Jill later purchased it from Victor.  Jill owns it entirely.

Coincidentally, Victor and Jill discuss this in the episode of Mon 6 Dec CDN (Tue 7 Dec US).  [Not really a spoiler so I think it's okay for me to say that.]

Jill had hired Billy Abbott and Lily Winters to co-manage "Chance Comm" (Chancellor Communications), a media division of Chancellor Industries, which they have been doing for more than a year.  Billy recently got it into a mess. 

The bigger news is that Jill wants to retire, so, last week, she offered Lily Winters the CEO position of all of Chancellor Industries.  Jill wants to remain at C.I. but only in an advisory role.

Edited by janea4old