Characters you were surprised to see again

• Members

With so many comings and goings over the years, changes in direction and theme, a lot of characters get lost in the shuffle, never to be seen again.

Who were some characters that you were surprised to see again, considering so many are forgotten?

I'd have to say Guiding Light bringing back Meta Bauer after more than 20 years was a big surprise, considering that the Bauers were no longer the leading family and she was pretty much unknown to most viewers, as well as being an older character,at a time when the emphasis was on youth.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Really good example!  I’d say she’s by far and large Dena Higley’s greatest success story.  That brief renaissance “Days” enjoyed in 2009/10 basically was because of her (and CC/Carly………. lol).  Speaking of, Carly, Lawerence, and Vivian Alamain were characters I thought we’d never, ever see again on “Days.”

• Members

Jesse and Angie, for sure. By the time they returned to AMC, they'd been established as a super important but bygone part of the show's legacy - then, next thing you know, they're leading characters on the show again for three solid years plus the reboot.

It's also surprising when you think back to Tom and Mark's appearances in 2004-2005, and it's criminal that they were never kept around on a more regular basis (yes, I know I know, thank god they weren't because they would have been destroyed etc etc, that's besides the point I'm trying to make).

• Members

I feel like Days might own this thread

Diana Coleville-so random and only the same character in name

Orpheus- hadn't been mentioned in like 20 years before he reappeared

Larry Welch

Valerie Grant-use of history I never thought would happen

Sarah Horton-someone who had not been mentioned in like 30 years before a reappearance

Carly Manning-I definitely thought her coming back to days was interesting.  She was barely mentioned in the intervening years after leading the show.

• Members

Y&R:

Phillip Chancellor III: simply because of Thom Bierdz’s chaotic offscreen life, Y&R’s historical reluctance to do those types of back-from-the-dead stories, and because he’d been “dead” for so many years. I also figured if they were going to undo the “Cane is P3” story, they’d simply keep P3 dead. P3’s excuse for faking his death was ridiculous, of course.

OLTL:

Victor Lord: For that absurd “Heart of a Lord” story. I’m too young to have seen the original  Victor alive and well, but his death in the ‘70s loomed over Michael Malone’s first HW tenure, when I started watching. Sad to see him undo the great story he’d written.

AMC:

Billy Clyde Tuggle and Dimitri Marick in the online revival

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

General Hospital: HEATHER WEBBER in 2004! Damn that was one of the most unusual and surprising comebacks of all time back then after that whole 2002-2003 mess where the show lost Stefan Cassadine and Laura Spencer.

Felicia Jones in 2012 on GH.. That came off as a big surprise. I have tried to stay away from spoilers between 2010-2012 as much as possible and didn't knew that Kristina Wagner would return.

It's a different show but does Amber Moore count? I mean she left in 2005 on B&B just to be brought over to Y&R in 2006.. That was a big surprise.

Taylor Hayes in 1994 on B&B after a 6 month break where everyone thought she died during a plane crash and became that Princess.. That was shocking and a welcome surprise!

• Members

Dina Abbott on Y&R in 2017.

Really thought the ship had sailed on her after years of absence and plenty of times when she could have been brought back eg John and Katherine's funerals.

Even though it was ultimately a waste of that character, they got several years of story from her return.