ALL: Characters you are surprised lasted so long

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

God, she was boring.  And so bland I couldn't tell you what she looked like or pick her out of a line up today.

Which I don't know why that was appealing to Ned as a non-virginal, non-religious man near 30 or why she would lie about it.  I thought it was hilarious when she was exposed as being a mistress to a senator or congressman by Brenda or Julia (can't remember which).  Jenny didn't seem like she had that in her.  I don't know how she stole Paul away from Tracy.

• Members

Not to go too far afield from the topic at hand, but it remarkable how the initial setup for Port Charles was similar to the 1991 Monty revamp.  Angela was played by Carol Lawrence, a long time actress, much like Mary Scanlon played by Pat Crowley.  The Eckhart Bakery tried to be the new hangout, much like The Recovery Room on PC.  And Jenny lived with many of her nurse friends in a shared apartment, much like the resident med students of PC.

Neither version was popular and both required a reworking of the initial concept.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I still remember when Tracy ran Jenny down with her car.  I know we were supposed to be outraged that Tracy would run her down and then flee the scene, but I felt she should have backed the car up and run over her again.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Like when Austin ran over Sami twice on Days!  I still giggle about that.

Not to get too off topic either, but I thought the original concept of PC was pretty good and the cast was very good.  In fact I think they took some talent that could have been useful to the mother show in that era.  GH had like no 20 something females that landed in that era after Brenda/Robin left (besides Carly) and PC had a bunch.   Unfortunately, it was just boring.  Riche was being extended in too many ways and both shows suffered.

I hated Monty's second run. I started watching GL full time. GH wasn't in bad shape. I will never understand the need for a massive overhaul. Out nowhere Anna and Robert are hastily and clumsily back together. The battle over baby Lucas aborted. The only good about that was Cheryl snapping out of her Robert obsession. Dawn foolishly killed off. Dawn vs Nikki would've been interesting. Most of the new characters were nothing burgers.  Like original recipe  Dominique or Nurse Shelia.  It was all way too much too soon.  GH was very luck that Wendy Riche repaired GH.

• Members

She had proposed to ABC a new soap opera centering on a blue collar family. When they passed on the new series, they rehired her on GH, and she implemented some of the ideas for her new series there. I thought Joe Hardy had done a decent job with the show - certainly better than Wes Kenney. I thought getting rid of Katherine - one of GH’s freshest faces in years- to push Robert and Anna back together was a huge mistake.

• Members

The weirdest was Bobbi, who had reverted to her original form during the baby scheming, was suspended from the hospital due to her involvement with an evil doctor.  Then, one the first day of the revamp she was inexplicably back at the nurse's desk in time to see Bill Eckhart in his hospital bed.

And Anna had been dating a creepy member of the Jerome family, but suddenly started playing S&M sex games with Robert and tying him to columns. 

It was as if there was time shift but nobody told the audience...

I liked Katherine as well. If i remember correctly Katie Lady was the first to go. Out of nowhere breaking up with Robert. And leaving PC around late November. 

Robert and Anna started acting very obnoxiously towards each other.  Edge was decapitated by the bootleggers. His head was found in a dumpster.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I remember when Gloria Monty was criticized at the time for the mass exodus, she said something along the lines of, “Well, everyone’s deal was up at once, so it made sense do it it all together.” Lame. She just didn’t take any time too see what had been done in her absence. She just decided that she wanted to get rid of most of it - frankly, a rookie mistake.

• Members

It's weird when I hear people watching at the time didn't actually like Robert/Anna together.  It seems to be a fairly popular consensus.  It's strange that the coupling has reached a sort of supercouple like status over the years even though it sounds like people preferred Robert/Anna with others.  Not really on topic, but it's just something I wondered about.  I guess Robin being their child and them being married at the time of their deaths made the lore of their romance better than it actually was.

• Members

I thought Robert and Anna were simply too much alike. I thought they had great chemistry but it wasn’t romantic chemistry. They were good friends who had a lot in common.

Part of what made Robert and Holly such a great couple is that they were different and they brought different things to the relationship. And Robert and Katherine were headed in the same direction.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

They are a lot alike.  I guess Robert/Holly and Anna/Duke were just better.  I haven't seen much of Robert/Katherine, but I have seen several people say they really liked them.   I have always just thought it was interesting how magazines, polls, the show etc. considers them a supercouple and most people were just okay about them.  But then again those same magazines, polls, and show considers Sonny/Carly a supercouple so I shouldn't be surprised.