ALL: Characters you are surprised lasted so long

• Members

Well from what I have seen over the years on you tube and what not, Jessica was super lame in general.  And Alex and Marie was such an odd pairing knowing what we knew about them.  Weird drug and sex parties?  Lol.  I think Josh/Jessica were popular, but he looked to be heading toward a pairing with Marlena before Wayne was hired and then Josh ended up with a young, immature, and annoying Jessica?  Too bad for him.  Alex was much better when he was bad, but I feel like in a lot of ways he was usurped by Victor, who was a similar villian but with better ties on the canvas in the end.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

John has a weird habit of calling people by their full names too.  He called Abe Abraham a lot.  I can't remember if he called Lexie-Alexandra though.   He calls Sami Samantha a lot, but then has silly nicknames like Doc, Izzy B, and Tink for his faves I guess lol.

• Members

You know the character's a dud when they have to pull a split personality out of thin, damn air.

Exactly.  You could tell the writers were attempting to fill out Alex's history and give him more ties to the canvas without really taking into consideration whether those ties made total sense.  I mean, the circumstances under which Alex and Marie supposedly met were super-flimsy and logic-defying -- Marie Horton getting mixed up with hooligans who were into drugs and S&M, because she was so down on herself?? No way! -- and in order for all the offscreen stuff to have occurred (running off to NYC, meeting Alex, getting pregnant w/ Jessica, giving birth, giving up Jessica for adoption, and then joining the convent), Marie would have needed to be away from Salem and off-canvas a lot longer than she actually was, too.

I think it would have been better if Alex and (Sister) Marie had met for the first time IN Salem, then gradually fell in love (as Alex struggled with his venal nature and believed that Marie would be better off without him, while Marie struggled both with her vows as a nun and her love for a "bad" man) without the needless backstory.  Jessica could have been just a young, orphaned girl whom the two loved LIKE a daughter, and whose relationships with her could have kept them tethered to each other as they tried (in vain) to stay apart.  That kind of thwarted, romantic yearning has always been DAYS' bread-and-butter.  If written and played right, Alex and Marie could have been another Doug and Julie, or Bill and Laura.

It says a lot that we saw neither hide nor hair of him the entire his son was in Salem.

Because, God knows, the writers weren't gonna do it!

Edited by Khan

• Members

I hate to admit it, but I had sorta-high hopes for that otherwise cockamamie story about John's memories and personality being stashed away on some CD-ROM or something.  It was like DAYS itself was admitting they had gone as far as they could with John as Roman-Lite or Dollar Tree Jason Bourne and were now gonna try and evolve him into an antagonist.

I should've known better.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Sunny Search for Tomorrow.

Not because of any fault with the character or actress.

Just because that apart from Stu, Jo and Liza ,everyone else from when Sunny came on in 78 ,including her sister, dad and love interests were written off.

And heaps of other characters along the way.

• Members

Jessica was just lame.  I can't even believe they gave Josh/Jessica a son so late in the game because they were hardly mentioned. 

From what I remember reading from @beebs awesome recaps they used to do there was another girl that they seemed to be angling as Marie's daughter and she was dropped.  From what I have seen of Josh I liked him fine.  He did seem a little old for Jessica though.  He was in a ton of scenes with Marlena after the rape and they were okay together.   I honestly never bought Alex would be attracted to Marie.  I know they tried to explain, but I just didn't get it.

I think there was chances to differentiate John from Roman.  In the beginning John was just the more understanding, hotter, nicer version of 90's jerky Roman.  Unfortunately when they really got into exploring John's past in the late 90's and early aughts he was too tied into the Marlena pairing to take him too far from the perfect hero.  The RoboJohn stuff was good at first, but the story got very muddled very quickly.  If you truly asked me the difference between John and Roman to this day I would say Marlena just likes one better lol.  John is a little more action hero than Roman these days but thats about it.

• Members

ICAM.  The fact that Sunny remained on-canvas through all the upheavals is a testament to how much SFT's fans loved Marcia McCabe.  I just wish Paul Avila Mayer and Stephanie Braxton hadn't destroyed all hope of Hogan and Sunny ever hooking up permanently, because, IMO, MM and David Forsyth had terrific chemistry.

• Members

Yep.  Cathy Breton.  And IMO, she comes across as being even more lame than Jessica.  If that's even possible, lol.

I suppose then-HW Hogan Sheffer wanted Nick to have solid, established ties to the Salem community; hence, making him the son (and sole offspring?) of a couple who hadn't been seen, heard from or even mentioned in decades.  But, you know, I think it would have been better just to say he was Eugene and Calliope's kid and Marlena's godson.