JR Ewing and his copies

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Bill Bell created his own JR Ewing with Victor Newman, billionaire businessman that owns and lives on a horse ranch and has a long-suffering younger wife. Y&R had wealthy businessmen before Victor (Phillip Chancellor II and Lance Prentiss) and Wisconsin has horse ranches, but Victor's introduction in February 1980 overlapped with Dallas at the height of it's popularity. In his early storylines, Victor was even dressed more in jeans, button down shirts, vests, cowboy hats than he was in suits.

In 1991, B&B introduced Texas oil millionaire Blake Hayes, former husband of Dr. Taylor Hayes. Bill Bell was a decade late to the party there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would say Abby was more of a JR, just with more of a  conscience. 

The Lewises were an interesting hybrid because they were obviously Dallas-inspired yet due to the heavy involvement of Reva and her being involved with all three main Lewis Men, they also had much more of a florid, pulpy vibe. The Ewings were more of the "new South" compared to the Lewises.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Nathan Nolan in my Milliken Mills novel series is absolutely written with JR in mind. (With his wife, Jackie, written as Alexis.)

Pressing Matters (book one) and Last Will and Punishment (book two) available now. Finishing touches on book three being done now. 

Please register in order to view this content

https://maineauthorspublishing.com/pressing-matters/

• Members

I do think the Buchanans were heavily influenced by the Ewings, especially in the early days when they had their own imported entourage of lady loves and ranch hands. The biggest difference, and for me a very smart one, was that any tension between Clint and Bo was short-lived and they instead just had Asa meddling in their lives. 

Edited by DRW50

• 3 weeks later...