GH: July 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He lost the role because soaps SORAS kids all the time, and despite Frank's fixation on him Bechtel was neither talented nor popular enough to warrant locking him in like Kimberly McCullough or Jonathan Jackson. They are the exception, and he ain't it.

• Members

It's a reason why you keep Kimberly McCullough, Jonathan Jackson, or even Carly Schroeder on your show for years to come. And TPTB might not necessarily keep Nicholas Bechtel on your canvas for several reasons. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Bechtel was really cute as a young child and Spencer was amusing at first. However, his shtick got old after awhile and I got really tired of how fixated on him TPTB seemed to be. I hated having to watch the kiddie triangle with Spencer, Cam, and Emma. I was glad when they sent Spencer to Europe and dreaded when NB would pop in. His version of Spencer stopped being fun and cute a long time ago. I'm all for the recast. Even if you were a fan, it's time to move on. He's a kid and kids almost always get recast and aged up on soaps. Like, I love the girl who plays Emma and I think it'd be cool if they could wait a couple years until she's a little older and bring her back to mix it up with the rest of the teens, but I'd understand if they recast instead because that's just how it goes on soaps. 

Edited by AlexElizabeth

• Members

The girl who plays Emma cannot act.

I think Bechtel ironically became a considerably better actor once he was on less and got older. But when he was frontburner as a little child he was unbearable. No matter how talented he is now, they were long overdue to recast.

• Members

A lot of times I don't really like Carly. That being said I have always thought she had good chemistry with Shawn and I thought their scenes at the pool were nice today. I also thought her scenes with Spencer/Joss were solid. NuSpencer continues to have a nice rapport with different characters on the canvas. I liked that him and Trina met up again, though it was very brief and Joss was also there. It's interesting we already have Joss warning Trina away from him and telling him that Trina is too good for him and out of his league. I think that could be foreshadowing that him and Trina will want to be together though other people like Joss will disapprove.

Also, Liz and Finn are now running around and telling/hinting towards people they care about that they are involved in Peter's disappearance. Pretty soon half the town might be involved in this secret too, lol. I did like Jason/Liz's scenes on Friday.

And I believe that Trina will end up overhearing Curtis/Portia talking about their past and get upset about that. She didn't seem too keen on them being together, though she pretended like she was. And Aunt Stella is continuing to meddle by intercepting those signed divorce papers. That will help extend the Jordan/Curtis/Portia triangle. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Talking about whether Spencer should have been recast, I often think about Starr Manning.

Now the connection of KA with the audience was stronger than Bechtel's and nobody (including me) would have accepted they recast.

But maybe this will be an unpopular thought bubble but with the benefit of hindsight and some distance from the death of the show, I sometimes wonder if the character wouldn't have benefitted from a courageous producer ripping the bandaid and recasting her in teenagehood. The emotional connection with having seen her grow up certainly was nice and compelling but I am not sure the qualities that made her such a fantastic child actress wore off very well when she aged.
I think Bechtell would have a similar trajectory.

• Members

We've seen Spencer shirtless at the pool three or four times in just the last week, yet Shawn and Curtis have their shirts on. What's up with that? Shawn's been out of jail for five seconds and Carly is already making it all about her and trying to get him back into the mob. I did laugh at her thanking him for stabbing Jason.

So now Curtis is going to look at old case files to see if he can help find out who shot Hayden. Lawd. He knows Nik was responsible. Why is this a storyline?

Spencer says Jason and Carly getting married is the happy ending they deserve, they'll be perfect together and Sonny would've approved.

Please register in order to view this content

Lawd, he's been back on the show for five minutes and is already on Jarly prop duty. Then the Cam/Joss and Jason/Carly comparison. Lordy. Why does everyone have to prop them like crazy? They're not even a real couple! This is so dumb. LOL at Carly being amused that Joss pushed Spencer into the pool again but also being afraid of getting sued.

I zoned out during the Jordan/Stella scenes. I kind of want Stella and Gladys to become friends. Imagine them going around PC being busy bodies together.

• Members