Y&R July 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Y&R often looks and feels cheaper than all the other series, including the notoriously low-budget DAYS, which seems to make much better use of its limitations.

The dip in production values over even the past couple of years has been stunning, even pre-COVID.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One big issue I’m noticing is that so many of the new Y&R sets (Grand Phoenix, Society, ChanceComm) do not have a single window in them so they look like fake, closet like spaces.

And then we have sets like the Chancellor mansion where they’ve got the cheapest looking couch on earth.  

Throw in a lack of any musical score for scenes at a time and the whole thing is a visual mess. 

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members

You barely noticed? It has looked like garbage for a long time. It matches the storytelling.

We have a winner here!  Johnny tell DaytimeFan what he's won!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

What incentives exist for Y&R to fix anything that’s wrong with the show right now? Ratings don’t appear to be cratering (and CBS didn’t seem alarmed when they were). 

I think a lot of people (viewers included) are content for Y&R to simply be ambient TV. Background noise while you do other things.

Or perhaps there’s a silent majority of viewers who are actively enjoying the show. Certainly the very online are not happy.

• Members

To be entirely fair, they can't make it happen if they don't have the money.

I agree with other commenters that they could use the money they have better - other shows do with similarly meager budgets - but having to forgo some "nice to have" scenes like big cast-gathering party scenes because of money can't be laid down at their feet as if it is their choice.

• Members

I don’t think what you’re saying is at odds with what I’ve stated. Of course, they have a budget. But storytelling isn’t the priority for them. Other shows manage to do both a little better.

The show *feels* like they’ve been told, we don’t care if there’s anything happening on screen. Are you under budget? Yes? Approved!

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Absolutely, and that's understandable, but what is disappointing is the writers don't take that carte blanche and craft interesting dialogue. You can make a good show with just people sitting around talking, like InTreatment on HBO (haven't seen the new version but the original was great).