• Members

JFP said in an interview when she was hired at Y&R that Genie was safe and they had a good working relationship. In less than a month, Genie was fired. Guess she's not an FOJ, a term Jill used during her interview. I'll never have time or patience for JFP FOJ's.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She missed the biggest lesson Gloria Monty  was there to teach her- Gloria wanted to do something different, after decades of playing within the bounds of the genre.  But she still understood the genre in a way JFP has always seemed to think she was better than.

GM didn’t do right by many of the GH vets- however, we still saw them all the time in the first half of her tenure.  Dr. Hardy and Jesse may not have been driving their own stories, but we certainly saw them constantly and they were part of the fabric of the show.  And just because an actor was older doesn’t mean they got tossed aside- Ruby, Edward, Lee, Gail, Lila, Dan, and Jesse were onscreen and interacting with Lesley, Alan, Bobbie, etc.  The audience still had that comfort while the show morphed into an action/adventure show.  GM had the taste in her first tenure of great talent picking and good story instincts.  JFP does not have that same skill set, so when she dictates story and tone we get darkness, misery, bland heroines and men as the focus of the show.  I wish she left competent writers alone and produced the hell out of what they wrote.  Instead of always having her fingers in the story (influencing story in every way possible- from focus groups to changing the scenes as they were shooting them).

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I found the interview very frustrating. If JFP did not know killing the beloved matriarch of the show's core family was going to be negatively received she had no business being the EP of a soap. She obviously did not understand the genre. After Maureen Bauer she learned her lessons about killing off character the fans care about? Another World fans did not care about Ryan Harrison, Bridget Connell AND yes Frankie Frame? General Hospital fans did not care about Alan, Emily & AJ Quartermaine, Georgie & Tony Jones and Justus Ward? You do not modernize a show by killing off legacy characters, firing veteran actors and destroying familiar sets. You write modern stories that have not been told before and cast unique, diverse actors. Shocking moments (murders explosion, etc) may give a short term increase to the ratings but if they are not part of a character driven story they end up alienating fans. JFP produced some brilliant episodes but left all 6 shows in worse shape than she found them.

• Members

I do think I learned more about her in this interview than in all the years I hate read everything about her while she was EP at OLTL and GH lol.

Killing Maureen was a huge mistake.  But I think it is also the line in the sand for the quality of the show changing into the mess it quickly became after, which exacerbated the situation for fans and became a kind of rallying cry for what was wrong and when it happened.

I had to chuckle at her feelings of success with the Blake and Alexandra recasts, both of which were not successful in my opinion.

I would love for someone to pin her down about the decimation of the Quartermaines, especially Alan.

I don’t hate a lot of her ideas- she just almost always executes them in a way that I can’t stand.  Drama absolutely needs stakes, and soaps shouldn’t be afraid of taking a risk for drama.  Including killing characters off.  She just doesn’t have the instincts after the decision to make something worthy of the pieces.  My opinion of course, and also the audience erosion she has seen at all her shows (except OLTL).

• Members

From what I learned from this:

-Actually I am glad she thinks blackout week on GL was her proudest achievement because it was indeed her finest moment and thought Demorest, Curlee and Reilly were great to work for. She should have just stayed focused on the production values as opposed as she puts it “let her mind wander”’ as I am quite sure that lead to Maureen’s death.

-She named her dog after John Bolger? I wonder if she has anything named after Kevin McClatchy or Steve Burton.

-Her rationale behind the John/Felicia affair has completely changed from how she rationalized 25 years ago? 

-Still very haunted by Maureen but still has absolved herself, even if it was indirectly anything with Frankie Frame’s death.

-“Bring into the 21st Century!!!” Of course they said that. We all know they told her that. I can see that pig Les Moonves telling her that himself. Yet she failed very miserably. Very Miserably. Also wasn’t it Altman, Thomson, and Passanate who penned Delia’a death? And “bomb under the bassinet” explains all of those ridiculous disaster plots—shootout at Victor & Nikki’s wedding, Valentine’s Day gala hostage crisis, plane crash, snowstorm, Newman Towers bombing etc.

-She remembers all the actor names but only couple character names. That actually explains a lot. 

All in all an interesting watch and I’m like hearing her open up on the actors and writers she has worked with along with a little new insight along with rehashing.

Overall I’d say the old phrase “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” pretty much sums up JFP’s career in a nutshell.

Last summer Phelps did a podcast interview and GH was barely mentioned as well. Here she only mentioned Genie Francis’ Emmy win. I wonder she has blocked out her time or would like to block it out. 

One last thing I did also chuckle about how she was so proud and successful at AW for the year she was there. LOL. In 1996 ATWT imploded in a blaze of glory as GL inspired righteous indignation, AW’s grave sin was being plain out boring with two back to back serial killer storylines that had offensive final victims.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I enjoyed the interview for what it was; and agreed with a lot of what she said. High stakes drama! High stakes drama!  No there should always be a balance of emotional and psychological and romance too! Soap fans are too complicated for me. You guys don't wont fan faves to be killed, nor legacy characters. so who can they kill off? You want them to waste a powerful storyline on somebody we care nothing about? Or the town villain? Where is the fun in that?! I believe its unrealistic and quite boring to have all the main cast constantly survive health scares, shoot outs, explosions, stabbings, etc. 

I'm with Jill, if you can get 3 plus years of story out of a characters death, and shake up the canvas, go for it.

This!

Edited by DemetriKane

• Members

Characters have to die, but a lot of the deaths, especially during her run on GH, were gratuitous and really destroyed the fabric of the show. And for what? It’s absolutely transparent that a lot of the cuts were for saving some cash. It almost always felt that way.

Aside from OLTL, which was terrible under her watch yet managed to not be *totally* gutted, there’s an emptiness to her shows by the time she’s done with them.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I wonder if the glossing over of GH has anything to do with how the power dynamic was there.  Guza/Pratt had a producing credit (which I assume gave them some autonomy), and we already know what working with Frons on ABC was like.  I wonder if she felt she got to put her stamp down more on the other shows.

OLTL being a tough show for her is reflected in all those interviews I read back then.  HBS and RW were both critical of how the show broke them up, making them both so stupid instead of letting it happen organically.  Even if Lindsey was an excellent addition to Nora’s story.  Erika loved JFP, but if you were Erika you would too I would think.  Viki got to be romantic and dynamic again without her alters.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Was Marcy Walker as Tangie on GL the original FOJ? 

Y&R to this day is still left with three actors from Hollywood Heights in three important roles and all three have failed to thrive especially with the horrible writing given to them over the years. 

• Members

I think at GH a lot of the decisions both in producing and writing were all Guza. I think the only time JFP was actually EP was Jan 2001-June 2002. Then Guza Took over and rode that show til his firing in 2011. Im sure JFP retook the decision making In summer 2011 but she was gone by the end of that year