Mysteriously dropped Storylines

• Members

On GL wasn't their once a plot point about old coins? I'm thinking it involved Michelle and Sebastian and would've been around 2004 or so.

Lots of dropped plot points in late 2002 and early 2003.  Blake going back to Spaulding, Josh going into a business partnership (leading to a Spaulding takeover?) with Holly.  Ed's time in Africa.  Plus the already discussed original Jonathan storyline which was changed to make Alex the one stalking Reva and had a "connection" with Marah that made no damn sense with the storyline change.

For years headwriters B&E were building to Gus being Selena's son with Danny Santos's dad (was his name miguel?). Also it was strongly suggested online that Danny's brother Mick was going to be revealed alive.

Prior to casting Joie Lenz as a recast Michelle, they considered bringing her on as Reva's niece via Roxie Shayne and Johnny Bauer. They were so thrilled with her work as the clone and were determined to fit her into the canvas someway.

For the Summer of '99 on Another World it was mentioned that Jake was going to clash with a new character that was going to introduce a new Hispanic family to Bay City.  Also a third Sinclair brother was going to be introduced. Probably a teen to be paired with Paulina's newfound daughter Remy or Amanda's daughter Allie Fowler.  Plus a new opening sequence was planned for late Summer/Fall. AW was cancelled, Goutman moved over to ATWT and they got the new title sequence instead.  Also Paul Rauch planned a much needed new opening sequence for Santa Barbara in '93 if they weren't cancelled instead.

Edited by Spoon
Added stuff

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was wrapped up in that period of time when Guza was there but not in the credits yet.  Luke telling Alexis all about her mother and Helena was also part of this transition as well.  It was all these little pieces that were just put into place that were clearly Guza’s style, leading to his official first episode when Luke’s first line was something like everything around here is going to be different, Nikolas was shot, Carly told Tony Jason was her baby’s father and Brenda had a laughable breakdown at a photo shoot.  Except for Brenda, it was a pretty excellent week as I recall.

• Members

Thanks. Yes, I remember that week (December 1997, if I'm not mistaken) very well. I didn't know (or had forgotten) that the shootout at Luke's and Carly's bombshell to Tony happened in the same week. Personally, I think those particular Carly scenes were the best Sarah Brown ever had on GH (and she won an Emmy for them, too!!). Too bad the majority of Guza’s stories didn't hold the same promise.

• Members

Guza ghostwrote a fair bit of stuff before his official return IIRC, as is common. I feel certain he wrote the famous and incredible Stefan/Alexis scenes where he confronts her about the Katherine scheme, kisses her and then banishes her from the family.

• Members

UGH...please don't ever mention Brenda's breakdown.  It was the worst story.  I cringe thinking about that photoshoot and the innocent tripods that died over Brenda's histrionics.   I would rather watch Brenda in Rome hanging out with Brad Rowe talking about nothing over watching that freaking breakdown story again.   Did Guza end that story? Because she was crazy then one day she talked to Lily's headstone and was all good lol.   Everything else that week or so was really good though.  

I think you're right.  Something about that scene seems very Guza.  In a good way before I hated him.

• Members

At the time, I really connected with Brenda's breakdown story because I was in a state of severe depression. I wonder how differently I would feel about the story over 20 years later and in a better frame of mind. Something tells me the story wasn't as good as I thought it was back then.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Glad you are better now!

Anyway, it just really wasn't Vanessa's strength as an actress.  I don't hate the idea in theory, but the execution and resolution was poor.  Jax's love cured her I guess.   I actually thought Ingo did really good with the story.   My biggest gripe is that Brenda lost her damn mind over Sonny.  It's absolutely realistic and she did show signs of having some mental issues previously, but over Sonny leaving her of all things?  It just is eye rolling.  Idk, I think it started okay and just fizzled out along the way.   I like the Lois pop in and Robin returning for that, so it's all good.  I would just never re-watch it.  Outside of the S&B non-wedding, which I cannot re-watch, this is by far my least favorite Brenda story.  

• Members

Thank you!

Funnily enough, only a year later GH would reinforce Brenda's mental health issues with the resurgence of her mother. You are right that Brenda's breakdown shouldn't have had to do with Sonny. It would have been interesting to give her a mental breakdown for other reasons, and have it merely coincide with MB leaving the show. Then Brenda would be angry at Sonny for leaving her at such a crucial time.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Unnamed mother crazy disease lol? I get the point of it all and she bet her life on Sonny.  But she really had everything to live for.  Jax was literally bending over backwards to help her.  My all time fave Brenda and Sonny scene is when she goes to the penthouse to confront him once he comes back.  It's literally epic.  it was such a REAL set of scenes.   And it's not all over the top.  It's just a quiet moment.  How Sonny wishes he could see her pregnant and holding her first child and all he wanted was her to be safe and happy.  I die........

• Members

I think those scenes (not sure if they're the same ones) where he was clearly broken and a mess and she was beyond him were what sold me the most on Brenda and Jax. It was an evolution they did well and they regressed her later on.

• Members

They really had Brenda over Sonny and really built Brenda/Jax again for her only to regress ridiculously back to Sonny in 2010.   I think it would have made so much more sense for Brenda/Sonny to slowly fall back in love then to portray Brenda as someone who was pining over Sonny for 15 odd years.  And of course Brenda and Jax got completely cheated.  I still want a scene where Jax and Brenda talk about their non wedding, but whatever.

Brenda's mom's name was Veronica.  The disease she was afflicted with had no name.  Brenda/Jax would discuss that disease calling it a debilitating genetic mental disease, but it had no name lol.