Days: Soap Vet Departs

• Members

The last two, for sure.  To this day, I don't understand why Dixie would have kept the fact that she was still alive a secret from her loved ones; and as for the final one, the bigger problem THERE was that it was part of what one magazine (I think it was New York) called a "full-on zombie invasion," when AMC seemed intent on closing down their run on ABC by bringing everybody back from the dead instead of getting back to basics -- and to reality.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought it was fine and necessary bringing back Dixie and Stuart. I wish they'd gone there with Leo too but apparently rewrites/reshoots cut that and possibly Babe and even Gillian.

As for Cady, that tweet is misleading. She does a few days on the phone next month, but according to Carlivati they don't know if Jennifer will return played by Cady or Missy someday.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Oh wow I adored her 2006 return at least the first half of it. Yea the motivations wasn’t clear, but it opened up the opportunity to give her character some much needed layers and become much more complex something Cady and us fans wanted for a long time. I didn’t hate Project Orpheus either, it correcting a lot of show’s problems. Dixie was set to return even before it was announced the show was cancelled. I thought her as a ghost taunting Adam was cool too!

Edited by cassistan

• Members

I could understand critiquing the libodozone story, but honestly the returns from the dead were needed because AMC shouldn't have killed off all of those characters in the first place. I just look at it as Broderick righting the ever wrong that was unleashing Pratt on All My Children. 

I think Cady's return as Dixie in 2005/2006 was misunderstood, and the fact that fans didn't throw themselves on the screen when they saw her return made TPTB think she wasn't worth a return. The response to Dixie coming back to screen in 2005, wasn't what you typically would expect. Jesse and Angie returning was huge, but Dixie just kind of got an eyebrow raise. They got more of a reaction from fans once they killed her off with the pancakes. Had fans given that reaction earlier I doubt they would have killed her off. Dixie/Zach, Dixie's iciness to Tad and JR, Dixie's weird story with Greg Madden all made the story so much worse than it should have been. Audiences didn't want Dark!Dixie. They wanted Dixie from 2002, and Cady didn't give them that. 

Edited by Skin

• Members

100% agree with that.
Don't misunderstand my point: I was critiquing the overall AMC take on more fantastic stories but I fully agree that I am perfectly comfortable with the show taking a lot of story license to repair that kind of damage so I was fine with it in isolation.
Suspending disbelief for the sake of the show is our eternal fate as soap fans

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I thought on paper Dixie's 2006 return was a great idea - the tragic heroine who thought she was incurably sick or dying or whatever hiding away from her family, made harder-edged and darker (per Cady's post-ATWT strengths) by her time in isolation, etc. But the part where she literally sent her cousin to town to pose as her, was gaslit into giving up her daughter, was just very difficult to accept IMO. And it didn't get much better over time. A lot of it was the execution. She didn't have to be that cold or distant to Tad and J.R. They didn't have to revile her. It could've been much more nuanced while also allowing Dixie to be more complex a la Rosanna and not revert to wheedling soccer mom Dixie of the late 90s.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There were people who were going to trash any aspect of it period, to be clear. Many just wanted Mommy Dixie back with Tad. Cady's skill level at that point was clearly so far beyond the crap she'd done in her pre-ATWT run at AMC after returning in the late 90s; she deserved more and got it. But the day to day plotting and writing mangled it.

• Members

Just give Cady the role of Jennifer if Missy wants to stay home. She truly became Jennifer for me after initially always wondering how Missy would play certain scenes. But they gave meaty stuff pretty much from the start and she delivered like she’d always played the role.