Y&R January 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

It all sounds dumb to me.  I also read that Wyatt and Flo are coming to Genoa City?  They wanted Sally to leave, so it's worth it to them to go torment her in another city?  I'm glad I'm only reading.  And in pictures it looks like Wyatt's hair is as gray as Michael's and I know people call him the silver fox but Wyatt is now too?  

Edited by Fevuh

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LOL hadn’t seen Wyatt & Flo yet...they have barely appeared on B&B since Sally left

aside from Quinn living with them and her trashing of Shauna but that’s about it. It would be so dumb of them to come

to GC for a story that’s already on shaky grounds but B&B lost a lot of ground with the mannequin story in ratings I know they’re desperate to reclaim it.

• Members

A B&B/Y&R crossover should be more meaningful and high stakes than this. I’m just gonna say it: Summer and Kyle are boring characters. The show has pushed them, but they are both dull. In addition, Sally is the last B&B character that makes sense to cross over. There is no need for her type on the show so she’s coming in as an unnecessary addition from the jump. So many B&B characters I could see making sense in Genoa City and having an impact, but Sally? On what planet?

The best case for crossover was when Sheila returned to B&B. They could’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of that. 

• Members

I know that a lot of regulars on these boards wish their soaps brought back more "legacy kids," but Summer and Kyle are perfect examples of why that's not always a good idea. They are both extremely bland, as though the writers working on their characterization just wrote "Nick and Phyllis' kid" or "Diane and Jack's kid" and stopped there. Given who their parents are and what they would have witnessed growing up, the two of them should be far more interesting and psychologically complex. But post-Bill Bell, Y&R doesn't seem to have much interest in writing that kind of intergenerational psychological drama. 

• Members

Summer should be a drug addict mess and Kyle an unmitigated whore but they rushed them into marriage and business and insist on the blandest characterizations imaginable

The feud with Sally didn't have enough meat to call for a crossover yet. Now her being paired with Jack is the only thing that could get that part of the canvas a jolt

• Members

I only tune in periodically, so I could be totally off-base here, but it strikes me that part of the problem right now is that, for a show entitled The Young & the Restless, very few of these characters are actually restless. A few months ago, I saw a 1973 clip where you saw that restlessness on full display, embodied by unhappy rich wife Kay and striving social climber Jill.

But when I tuned in the other day, the only restlessness I saw, as well as the only energy, came from Phyllis spazzing at Nick about going to see Chelsea. The other scenes I saw were sedate and stilted, like they came from a video teaching foreigners how to politely communicate in the US workplace. There was a jargon-filled scene where Nate reassured Adam that Chelsea would get the best medical care, which seemed designed to deflate any exciting dramatic conflict between the two characters. (The dialogue acknowledged that they had conflict before, but this was quickly brushed aside). And there was a similarly weird scene between Victoria and Kevin, where they both shared the information that they were happy with their current jobs. Most of these people seem to already have what they want, and I'm left wondering why I should care about these passionless corporate drones. 

• Members

I’m enjoying the fleshing out of Amanda and her family, I can’t help but wish this was Hilary instead. But Mishael truly has been great in this story. And I have to give the casting department kudos for the actresses playing her mom and sister.

The only other story that is remotely interesting is the Faith story just because of Cassie’s history.

Edited by Antoyne