Y&R January 2021 Discussion Thread

On 1/8/2021 at 2:35 PM, soapfan770 said:

The crossover doesn’t make any sense because the stakes just aren’t there. Bummer whining “Sally is after my job!” just doesn’t cut it. There’s really nothing of consequence here and no drama whatsoever. Shoot there’s not even anything to gain if Bummer learns more about Sally. Exposure of Sally just feels really weak.

It would be something Sally had been in town for six months, built up her image, made friends with someone like both Mariah & Lola, made the moves on either Kyle and/or Jack with Theo still in town plotting with her as Sally systematically sabotaged Summer’s career but the show is too dumb to even tell a small arc like that.

It all sounds dumb to me.  I also read that Wyatt and Flo are coming to Genoa City?  They wanted Sally to leave, so it's worth it to them to go torment her in another city?  I'm glad I'm only reading.  And in pictures it looks like Wyatt's hair is as gray as Michael's and I know people call him the silver fox but Wyatt is now too?  

Edited by Fevuh

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fevuh said:

It all sounds dumb to me.  I also read that Wyatt and Flo are coming to Genoa City?  They wanted Sally to leave, so it's worth it to them to go torment her in another city?  I'm glad I'm only reading.  And in pictures it looks like Wyatt's hair is as gray as Michael's and I know people call him the silver fox but Wyatt is now too?  

LOL hadn’t seen Wyatt & Flo yet...they have barely appeared on B&B since Sally left

aside from Quinn living with them and her trashing of Shauna but that’s about it. It would be so dumb of them to come

to GC for a story that’s already on shaky grounds but B&B lost a lot of ground with the mannequin story in ratings I know they’re desperate to reclaim it.

The last thing GC needs is Wyatt and Flow. Awful couple. 
Don Diamont should return to Young and Restless. He is a great actor, still handsome and is totally wasted on B and B. The character is a prop for the two dolts that are his sons. 

A B&B/Y&R crossover should be more meaningful and high stakes than this. I’m just gonna say it: Summer and Kyle are boring characters. The show has pushed them, but they are both dull. In addition, Sally is the last B&B character that makes sense to cross over. There is no need for her type on the show so she’s coming in as an unnecessary addition from the jump. So many B&B characters I could see making sense in Genoa City and having an impact, but Sally? On what planet?

The best case for crossover was when Sheila returned to B&B. They could’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of that. 

27 minutes ago, Chris B said:

A B&B/Y&R crossover should be more meaningful and high stakes than this. I’m just gonna say it: Summer and Kyle are boring characters. The show has pushed them, but they are both dull.

I know that a lot of regulars on these boards wish their soaps brought back more "legacy kids," but Summer and Kyle are perfect examples of why that's not always a good idea. They are both extremely bland, as though the writers working on their characterization just wrote "Nick and Phyllis' kid" or "Diane and Jack's kid" and stopped there. Given who their parents are and what they would have witnessed growing up, the two of them should be far more interesting and psychologically complex. But post-Bill Bell, Y&R doesn't seem to have much interest in writing that kind of intergenerational psychological drama. 

Summer should be a drug addict mess and Kyle an unmitigated whore but they rushed them into marriage and business and insist on the blandest characterizations imaginable

The feud with Sally didn't have enough meat to call for a crossover yet. Now her being paired with Jack is the only thing that could get that part of the canvas a jolt

Just now, detroitpiston said:

Summer should be a drug addict mess and Kyle an unmitigated whore but they rushed them into marriage and business and insist on the blandest characterizations imaginable

The feud with Sally didn't have enough meat to call for a crossover yet. Now her being paired with Jack is the only thing that could get that part of the canvas a jolt

All of this. This is the way JG has written the entire show, and it’s been this way for so long that his superiors have to shoulder some blame as well.

I only tune in periodically, so I could be totally off-base here, but it strikes me that part of the problem right now is that, for a show entitled The Young & the Restless, very few of these characters are actually restless. A few months ago, I saw a 1973 clip where you saw that restlessness on full display, embodied by unhappy rich wife Kay and striving social climber Jill.

But when I tuned in the other day, the only restlessness I saw, as well as the only energy, came from Phyllis spazzing at Nick about going to see Chelsea. The other scenes I saw were sedate and stilted, like they came from a video teaching foreigners how to politely communicate in the US workplace. There was a jargon-filled scene where Nate reassured Adam that Chelsea would get the best medical care, which seemed designed to deflate any exciting dramatic conflict between the two characters. (The dialogue acknowledged that they had conflict before, but this was quickly brushed aside). And there was a similarly weird scene between Victoria and Kevin, where they both shared the information that they were happy with their current jobs. Most of these people seem to already have what they want, and I'm left wondering why I should care about these passionless corporate drones. 

3 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Leigh-Ann Rose, the actress who plays Imani, is freakin’ gorgeous.

I don't care much about this story (or any of the stories on the show frankly) but she is stunning. 

I’m enjoying the fleshing out of Amanda and her family, I can’t help but wish this was Hilary instead. But Mishael truly has been great in this story. And I have to give the casting department kudos for the actresses playing her mom and sister.

The only other story that is remotely interesting is the Faith story just because of Cassie’s history.

Edited by Antoyne
21 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Mishael is never one to phone it in, but she was on fire today.  

Just imagine the impact that this would’ve had if it were Hillary instead of Amanda that got this storyline, ya know the character we actually had years of history with. 

Edited by Antoyne