Y&R January 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’ll take it.  At least Jack and Sally have a bit of life in them. Chelsea raging within about Sharon is not interesting to me. 
I’d also like them to crossover Bill Spencer from the Bold and Beautiful and get with Victoria. It’s time for her to have a love interest that isn’t Billy and her feud with Phyllis is dull. 

Also, are they dropping Amanda’s story? I really liked her mom and sister, there’s more that could be done. 

• Members

MO's  Abby is not lead material, but that's been poor writing for years.  As Ashley and Victor's daughter, now married to a Chancellor, by all rights, she should be. But writers have watered Abby down as insipid for years.  With a better co-star and a writer that could flesh her out, I think MO could pull off the lead.  She's not as green as when she started.

As for Loren Lott--- shame on everyone from bottom to top for the inability to write for Ana.     That was blatant bull*sh*it and they know it.    Ana was a very viable character and Loren Lott was a fantastic find. 

I'm hoping we'll be seeing more of Amanda's mother and sister, and I don't think the story is being dropped--then again, I was wrong about Ana, so.....  I do think they'll keep this story, mostly due to Mishael's popularity.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of Moses, and hopefully a friendship with Faith, who could use a real friend.  Mentions of Jordan's brother  leave me hopeful for a Young in The Young and the Restless generation---preferably one that doesn't become obsessed with marriage and children; that  have addictions; that have open and "fluid" relationships.   I know Josh Griffith isn't capable of this

Free storyline suggestion for Susan Dansby--- Moses really wants to get a fresh start because he is gay and self loathing. Moses comes to terms over time with the love and support of Devon, Lily  and Nate.  They have to work together to help him, healing the wounds between Nate and Devon, while there is still a level of discord/ rivalry.  I don't think Griffith could handle this sort of story.

Random notes:

DB Chance stands for douchebag not his actual name,  correct @Taoboi ?  LOL

Please bring Justin Gaston back Y&R, he definitely brought a strength in MO that I hadn't seen before, and he looked like Thom Bierdz's son.

Chelsea whining with her mouth shut is still just Chelsea whining.   They should have cut their losses and let the aneurysm burst.

Perhaps this return for Gloria will be less cartoon-  Oh why bother.  I

Please register in order to view this content

JC regardless of the annoyance her Gloria brings me.

I would much prefer this scenario....Jack starts falling for Sally, but Lauren starts finding herself jealous of the relationship.  As Michael begins to get jealous of the time Lauren is spending with Jack and Jabot, the two get stranded and begin an affair.   Michael tries dye-ing his hair back, but to no avail, Jack and Lauren have to deal with fallout not only from Michael, but a jealous Paul, and Traci, who realizes that she still dislikes Lauren on a different level.

Speaking of Traci-- how about a foster child?  Someone she takes under her wing--not to replace Colleen, but to share all the love she has to give?

If they aren't planning to use Lola, just make her recurring.  She's basically become Mrs. Martinez, popping in to cook.

Just a few thoughts.

• Members

I appreciate the idea but not sure I want to see a young gay teen self loathing. I'd prefer to see him happy about his situation and any concerns the adults may have to be addressed in a positive way. Not that he wouldn't have any problems but that whole 'it gets better' narrative always seems to be the default.

• Members

Drop the corporate stories and the wealthy Newman and Abbott families? Then what’s left? I really don’t know where you’re suggesting they go.

I haven’t seen anything in this crossover that makes it worth discussing. Summer found out nothing about Sally she couldn’t have learned in a phone call. What Sally did at Forrester would have been big news, so the whole thing is stupid anyway.

Y&R won’t write in a gay Moses, self-loathing or otherwise. We’re not getting another gay character in town, because this show has no guts.

I can’t even credit the Faith drinking story that so many people like. We never see Faith drinking or partying, probably because there’s no budget. And this older girl Jordan is a bust. Why would she want to hang with Faith?

I could see if she wanted some of the Newman money, but they’re writing it as if she wants Faith around. Why? Does anyone think Faith is that much fun? And there’s also no reason given for Faith wanting to hang with Jordan and other girls who bully her. The storyline is bad.

• Members

When originally introduced I don't believe that Victor or the Abbotts were portrayed as billionaires. Yes they were wealthy but not to that level. Same with Katherine.

I'm not against business stories but told within a more modest framework please.

So I'm asking for more realistic stories about Jabot or Newman and de- emphasise the apparent wealth as the shows don't have the budget to depict that lifestyle.

• Members

I can’t lie. I kind of agree. Especially Newman. I wouldn’t have minded if the Newman family had been phased out in the past 10-12 years. Whenever I think of what I’d do with Y&R, I’m least inspired by the Newmans and their game of thrones. They are overexposed. Their dynamics are stale, AH and JM are meh performers, and the Newmans’ ungodly wealth doesn’t come across at all in the new low-budget normal. They are anachronistic.

It’s sad that the Jabot set now looks like generic WeWork office space rentals. And old Y&R had a level of specificity that they can no longer portray. You could actually see a lot of the work. Ashley in her lab testing samples, etc. In a show, don’t tell world, Y&R has a lot more “tell” than “show.”

Edited by Faulkner