Y&R January 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Mariah surrogate story is awful. No one asked for this, no one wants to see it. She’s been friends with Abby for what, 10 minutes? And now she’ll carry the baby? GMAFB.

Abby’s SOBBING about not having a baby 15 minutes into her marriage shows you how bad this show is right now.

And what about Mariah looking around the Chancellor place like it’s some grand mansion? Gag me. That living room is tiny, and no, we don’t believe there’s a wing that Chance hasn’t seen.

Who blocked the scene in Victoria’s house when she and Billy were working? Stevie Wonder? They looked stupid and ridiculous sitting in chairs across the room like that.

Dont get me started on that set that looks different every time we see it, or the fact that they continue to line up the sofa and chair right in front of the fireplace — but facing away from it.

A mess.

• Members

There's a post on soap blog Daytime Confidential that talks with Marco Dapper about his post-YR struggles.

I thought he had pretty interesting and sometimes saucy banter with Abby and Lauren.

I thought it was a mistake to make Carmine go psycho. I know the "Likey" stans were up in arms (and JG lost all his backbone and resolve) but the affair could have been written with far more nuance and could have lasted a good while longer by making a new life with Carmine an actual choice that Lauren considers, rather than a result of her losing all sense of reason and needing to be rescued, the way it was portrayed.

Now, does Lauren have an actual storyline? Or is she still basically an appendage?

I also wonder whether Camryn Grimes and MD would have chemistry. I mean, if he could generate some interest in his scenes with MO, I think it's a pretty good chance that he and CG could've been interesting. Stranger things have happened.

• Members

I have that article.

Please register in order to view this content

I love Carmine with Lauren. And I felt it was organic and made sense given that Lauren was doing nothing. And just how much he wormed his way into her life. Her confidante. Close friends with Fen. And the fact that Lauren loved that fire no matter how much she tried to resist. I remember it being well paced, surprised well received in a hate to love it, and it was hot. One of the few stories JG got right. But again, I remember feeling it had some nuance. I wished it had been longer and I agree with you that I would have liked to see it more of Lauren considering a new life with him versus her losing completely her wits.

They should have never made him psycho. Especially if he could not be redeemed. But at least they left him alive at least.

----

Finished out the week ending with 1-15 and...

I was happy to see the Moses mention with  Sofia. I was also happy to see that Nate was feeling a bit like a caveman (Elena mine)...only because it added tension between all of three of them. Dare I say it? I felt Devon and Elena were being too tame. So it was nice to see someone understand tension...like when Devon took a dig and mentioned something only he and Elena knew...and Nate clearly didn't. 

I see why you are mean about Abby and Mariah/Tessa. They are being TOO obvious.

I guess it show how much I dislike Phyllis that I was on Victoria's side. I wish Victoria would have wiped that smug look off her face.

Still liking the Faith storyline. Not liking Jordan. 

• Members

When I say there was a lack of nuance, I meant in how the affair came to an end and turning Carmine into a wild-eyed lunatic. Writing Carmine as a legitimate choice of partner, even if, ultimately

, Lauren chose to reconcile with Michael would have added a layer of complexity to the story-- which would have felt more adult and less like the beginning of a teen slasher movie. But it was what it was.

KG was going for "Unfaithful" but failed to find the nuance at the crux of that story--(that Richard Gere's hasty, reckless and accidentally committed, act sprang from hurt, a sense of betrayal, anger, jealousy and bruised ego, rather than an actual need to protect his wife and Diane Lane's character's complicity in helping to cover up her husband's actions-- ultimately, she is the one who protects her husband, not the other way around).

• Members

Getting caught up on last week. I was definitely not expecting Devon and Elena to cheat on their new boos this soon. I do like that this should keep the story moving, but I definitely don't want Amanda to just go running back to Nate when she finds out.

This surrogacy story is dumb.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

I can see that. I had taken a break from Y&R as Carmine was starting to get creepy but not fully psycho yet. I would have done what you suggested because I felt TB has chemistry with both. 

OMG! I remember him saying 'Unfaithful' was what he was aiming for. lol.

• Members

I think Donny's departure had more to do with his political leanings and social media posts than his acting ability.

The way it was written into the show was so maudlin and dated.  It's 2021, not 1996.  Should've sent an email or a video clip. 

• Members

Devon really wasn't cheating on Amanda because they weren't together and she couldn't even committ to a kiss. However, it's set up for her to be upset and walk from him anyway.  That Nate is now working with her makes me think something will happen with them. But honestly, considering the spoilers

Please register in order to view this content

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Been so busy with work, Housewives, and GH, I didn't even realize I gotten so behind. So playing catch up...at 1/18 and really...? JG is finally doing that Sharon/Adam/Annie...I mean Chelsea storyline he started to do back in the day? lol.

And I think you are all right. Billy/Lily started well, but now they are currently boring.

And this Abby drama...smh. After last week with Amanda and her family is a drag. And we know how I feel about DB Chance. at least I know he's leaving.