Night Court (2023) Discussion Thread

Faulkner

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So far, I have only seen the pilot episode and it’s got some promising elements, including a reasonably likable cast.

Yes, many of NBC’s highly successful sitcoms did need a full season or two to find their footing and/or audience. I just wonder whether NBC will be patient enough to allow this show that space as it once did in the 1980s and ‘90s. Network executives have been somewhat impatient in the last decade, and unfortunately, so are viewers sometimes. 
I was curious to see if anyone had asked Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield on their thoughts on this reboot. I haven’t heard anything expressed, which makes me wonder whether there could be the possibility of a couple cameos down the road. I don’t think people should rush this, especially seeing that there a brand new characters that viewers need to get to know. Hopefully once they are established, there will be room for some appearances from surviving cast from the first series. I would love to see what happened to Quon Le, she and Mac had at least one child together and I am curious to know what happened to them. The writers may not want to deal with all of that but I think it would be a nice nod to the character of Mac and his history, much of which played out on camera.

but yeah, I think it may require a little patience for this show to hit its stride. There are hints of that zaniness that the original series had but television, especially network television is risk averse these days and the original series seemed to take plenty of risks, at times it dabbled in the subversive, which made it special. 

• Members

I'm glad that the show got such great numbers, and yet I cringe wondering if the majority of viewers were as disappointed as I was. I smiled when I saw that the first two episodes would be airing tonight, like an oldschool NBC Saturday night of sitcoms. Two episodes in, and I hadn't laughed once. It was great to see Dan again, and the rest of the cast seems strong, just poorly underserved by the writers. I have no issue taking time to warm up to a show, but for every slow burn, there's the potential to have the grease popping from the jump. Look at The Golden Girls, that pilot was on fire and you knew exactly who each of those ladies were from the very beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

@Vee thanks for letting me know. That's lovely to hear. They were making season 2 and the strike halted it so I don't know if that will affect any of her appearances but I hope not. I'm glad they are honoring Marsha while they have the opportunity.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...