DAYS: Vet Quits! Recast with AMC/ATWT Star!

• Members

I was thinking the same thing watching last night.  Kristian Alfonso's Hope and Melissa Reeves' Jennifer are so integral to the Horton legacy, IMO. To think we're losing both around the same time is a blow.  

If only they'd beef up on putting some senior Hortons on recurring (Jamie Lyn Bauer as Laura; Maree Cheatham as Marie, for example) there would be a better sense of the family and its lasting legacy. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They did such a good job about 10 years ago positioning Maggie, adding to her side of the family (Nathan), etc.  And then the Daniel propping got tied to her, followed by an odd marriage to Victor and she hardly seems like the same Maggie.

Julie is there and used well as an antagonist, but there is little else for her, and she was never a good fit to succeed Alice.  I want Julie to be a pain in the ass.  She can and does have a heart, but she is still Julie and should be treated that way.  Kind of like how Caroline was nothing like Alice Horton.

To me, the loss of both characters is pretty great in abstract, but I just don’t feel they care about Hope, and Jenn is often so lifeless that she also doesn’t feel like the same character.  Plus Missy has pretty much killed my love for Jennifer.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I so rarely follow threads now. I just saw this. Holy hell. I thought this was the type of part Cady disliked playing?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Cady with Matthew Ashford. I think some of you have said his work as Jack isn't that great now, but I've always enjoyed what I've seen of him in the role over the years and Cady is such a great actress she could bring out his best. 

Beyond her comments about race, she also encouraged people to go to their local hospitals and take photos to "prove" COVID was a hoax. 

• Members

It is definitely a blow.

I've wanted a Hope break but not 'forever'. I feel like Kristian will come back at some point. Just a hunch. 

I totally agree on beefing up the Horton's but that doesn't seem to be a priority. They just fill slots in the canvas. Why do we have to have Rafe back when they could have re-introduced Mike Horton? Just an example ...

THIS! All of this.

I've always wanted Marie as the successor to Alice but that never happened. They 'tried' with Maggie, but the Daniel and Melanie [!@#$%^&*] and now the Victor [!@#$%^&*] has killed her for me.

I also always wanted Kim as the Caroline successor. I hope Patsy is doing well.

Soaps used to think about their future and 'setting up the canvas' but now all they do is go through the motions to survive and fill slots in the canvas.

• Members

It's also sad because their performances were so vibrant at the beginning (from what I can find on YouTube) and just levelled off a few years ago. I'm not putting the blame for that on either KA or MR, but the writing just hasn't been there. 

I know that 25 (!!) years on this is really neither here nor there, but do any of you think the whole truth of MR's first departure from DAYS will ever be revealed? Ken Corday has known her since she was 18, and there must not have been lingering hard feelings for her to return for the first time in 2000 after she was sued by Corday Productions for breach of contract. Even in the mid-90s, when I began watching DAYS and reading the soap magazines, I got creepy vibes about her marriage. Not quite Hunter Tylo creepy, but close.

Anyway, it does make sense that she'd want to stay close to home with one grandchild just born and another on the way - especially with Coronavirus still prevalent. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but the idea of Matt Ashford and Cady McClain as an on-screen couple intrigues me.

• Members

Yeah. Cady was playing "Rosanna" but it was basically a new character (much like Hunt Block's "Craig").

She's capable. Resembles Missy a bit. It's a solid recast if there has to be one. IMO. I'm curious to see her in the role. And let's not talk about Cady's time on Y&R. I'd very much like to erase that.

Ron liked a tweet from SOD about Missy having a new grandkid so I'm guessing she's back at some point should she so choose. But maybe she chooses not to come back even though the show wants and thinks she will. Who knows?

Sigh.

If only.

With Nick, you had the perfect chance to re-establish Marie. But nope. I can understand with a vet heavy cast why but at the same time ... sigh. So many missed opportunities.

I also always thought John Reilly could have made an interesting Bill Horton.

Edited by KMan101