RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I remember reading Donald Bogle's book from the '80s about black entertainers of Hollywood, and the passages about the backlash against Sidney Poitier, his being called "Super Sidney" and so on. It reminds me of some of the backlash Whitney Houston faced when she became too successful, but as Sidney himself said, he was the only successful/high-profile black actor for a long time, so he had to be everything to everyone. He seemed to seriously scale down his public role at his career peak due to that backlash, and likely the ugly national climate at the time. I wonder what roles he might have gotten and been able to create if he hadn't hit that backlash, similar to how Denzel Washington has managed to have a lot of high-profile parts through decade after decade. 

I think I was more interested in some of his earlier films like Edge of the City, although that would probably be seen poorly today.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

And upon revisiting (I have close family who were very involved in early computer security, who saw it with me and came out of that '60s computer culture depicted with Redford and Kingsley in the film), way too prescient for today. But Poitier gave it such dignity and gravitas - despite such a stacked cast, as a kid I'd never seen anyone like him. (I'd grown up with The Cosby Show, but Poitier was a much more serious presence than Cosby.)

Edited by Vee

• Members

https://e2gsports.com/harold-williams-weekly-wrestling-glow-legend-matilda-the-hun-passes-away-at-age-73/

Idk how to embed from Twitter (really don’t use it, honestly), but Matilda the Hun from the original GLOW series has passed away. She was one of the show’s two heartbeats, IMO, along with Mountain Fiji. You could tell from her appearances at their reunions that she loved the experience and the sisterhood they shared because of it.