RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@I Am A Swede I would not have known about Gary without your tweet. Almost all the Vicar cast are gone - it breaks your heart. I didn't care for a lot of the last few years of the show, but Gary was a consistent highlight. His going from dislike to grudging respect to love for Geraldine was the show's best story. He was very charismatic and handsome as well. 

Gutting about Ronnie Spector. So truly special, and, in spite of her decades of success, underrated. I go back to this performance a lot - it's so free and joyous, and has the love of life that Phil Spector tried to take from her, but never could.

• Members

It's really sad. Only James Fleet (Hugo) and Dawn French (Geraldine) remain of the regular cast....  

Please register in order to view this content

I know it probably wasn't what you were supposed to do, but I often sympathized with David for having to deal with Owen, Jim and Frank......  

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Beineix is best known today for Betty Blue, but his Diva was another of the founding films of the hyper-stylized 'cinema du look' French films of the '80s, many of whose directors and styles (like Luc Besson) ultimately headed West as well. I love Diva.

• Members

Both cuts of it are on Criterion. Diva is less renowned now, but I think I may prefer it - from a series of books with one of the supporting characters, a sort of detective/nomad. It got a re-release and restoration a few years back but I don't know if it's on Blu-Ray. It goes on and off Criterion and various services.