RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Members

Thnx for the links! Found them all. That man was a total creep to Tina Sloan when CBS canceled GL! Network honchos fall neatly into two categories: Nice guys like Fred Silverman & creeps like Les Moonves.

Tina Sloan: We believed we could save Guiding Light. We knew that if our 72-year-old-show went, everybody would go. [CBS President and CEO] Les Moonves and I had a talk, and he said, “I gave you an extra year or two.” Then he replaced us with a game show.

Edited by Tonksadora
add a quote

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Loretta Lynn and Angela Lansbury have been really big ones for me.

I wish I could say my experiences with Angela have been more refined, but I can't, and so I will revel in the fact that she is and always will be Jessica Fletcher for me. The voice, the kindness, the warmth, the intellect, the wicked sense of humor - she was perfection and every 80s/90s kid's TV grandmother. We watched The Manchurian Candidate in one of my college history classes, and it really introduced me to her on another level, but I'm actually kinda excited that I've missed so much of her bigger pre-MSW work - it's going to be fun experiencing it for the first time!

And Loretta...sigh. I didn't grow up listening to country music at all, but somehow, for some reason, I became fascinated with it right after I graduated high school, and that fascination has continued for nearly 15 years. Loretta remains THE standard "classic country" artist for me - in my mind, there is literally Loretta and then everyone else. Coal Miner's Daughter (song, book, and movie) is such a great portrait of the woman and her world, and I'm just so thankful she shared the realness of her life with us in so many ways. Bonus points for leading my girl Crystal into stardom, too!

• Members

Oh, that touches me. I didn't know any of that real life stuff about Loretta Lynn choosing Sissy & assisting her.  And it turned out so well, great movie about a great woman's early life. I had no inclination toward country music at all before that & it made a believer out of me. Still sad at this loss.