RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To have lived to just shy of 97 is an incredible life. She was a miraculous performer of stage and screen, arguably the most versatile stage actress in history, with an enduring appeal to audiences of all ages. 

Some of my earliest memories are watching her in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I loved that movie so very much.

Please register in order to view this content

I recall reading a comment online several years ago from someone who'd been a child when Angela was starring as Mame on Broadway. She'd come into the family's shop and had heard that the child's father had died earlier that year. A few months later, at Christmastime, Angela came into the shop with a bag of wrapped gifts, and then exited to her waiting chauffeured car to head back to the show. She was the personification of class. 

As well, it's common knowledge she hired all of her old MGM friends to give them a well paid gig on Murder, She Wrote, and to ensure they all had their SAG health insurance renewed. Many actors who either got their starts with guest shots on MSW or enjoyed a retirement aged guest shot all said she set a tone of total professionalism.

I hope there's a heaven, and if there is, I know Dame Angela Lansbury is already there. Rest in perfect peace, sweet lady, your work is done and your legacy is everlasting. 

• Members

She's one of those people I can't imagine ever not knowing about. Her accomplishments on Broadway, TV, and the Silver Screen are too many to name. All I can do is thank her for the countless hours of entertainment she's provided us all. RIP to a true legend.

We've discussed MSW and Angela so much on this board over the years, so safe to say there's a community here very fond of her. Thinking of @Khan specifically who I know loved her. 

• Members

As @DaytimeFan mentioned, I grew up with Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I watched it so many times my VHS tape broke. It's how I will always remember her. I have so much respect for Angela and her legacy, how she thrived in a system that never knows what to do with people who aren't easy to fit into a certain category. And for how she tried  to help her friends and other people in Hollywood who needed support. She was one of a kind. I saw a tweet saying how lucky  we were to have lived at the same time as Angela Lansbury, and that is just perfect. 

• Members

Time will tell, but outside of Jessica Fletcher, Angela always said Mrs. Lovett from Sondheim's Sweeney Todd will be her definitive role - it probably will be in her storied Broadway career. 

I remember discovering this original cast album as a kid and being totally spooked it was the same woman from MSW. 

Please register in order to view this content