Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Scott’s book also addressed a rift with Victoria Rowell, who played Drucilla Winters. In a lawsuit against Sony Pictures Television and CBS, Rowell claimed she was subjected to “various racially charged attacks,” including Scott mocking her by wearing an oversized Afro wig. The case was dismissed in 2017.

Scott recalled things differently, writing that there was a carnival set built for a few episodes of the show. She and few other show members, bored and goofing around on the “out-of-the-ordinary” set, found a bin of clown wigs and tried them on. She said they were “just giggling, pretending to be clowns” when Rowell appeared and went on an “angry tirade.” Scott said Rowell “thought I was making a statement about her hair because of the multi-colored Afro wig I was wearing and accused me of being a racist because of it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/young-restless-star-melody-thomas-scott-stabbing-clint-eastwood-almost-marcia-brady-135718836.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Chadwick Boseman's full commencement address at Howard University in 2018
was 36 minutes long.  Kamala Harris retweeted this 8-minute segment

which is all about Chadwick was hired and fired on All My Children
for the role of Reggie Porter (the character later adopted by Jackson Montgomery).

Almost all of these 8 minutes are about racial representation on TV/film, using AMC as an example.

I won't try to sum up what he says -- just listen, he says it so eloquently.

Note that he mentions the lack of specificity.

fyi, he mentions that he hopes that his questions to the producers about stereotyping helped to change the way the character would be written for the Black actor who replaced him. (He doesn't give the actor's name in this speech, but we know that the Black actor who replaced him in the role was Michael B. Jordan).

Here is the entire commencement speech, which gives context to why he spoke about his AMC experience:

If you watch the whole youtube, there is more. he said he was sort of blackballed for a while because AMC had put out the word that he was "difficult".

Edited by janea4old

• Members

No, it's perfectly fine. The Jordan/Boseman convo is a different item. I wasn't saying you shouldn't post the above, I just know there's more to that story around here somewhere.

Edited by Vee