Ratings From the 90's

• Members

Despite Guiding Light ratings during Calhoun's run (remember that time slot rival General Hospital was 2nd for most of Calhoun's run), I think he left the show in pretty good shape when JFP took over. Yes JFP got the ratings up but as we are seeing in this thread, the ratings rise is overlapping with General Hospital tanking.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thank you, @beebs, ICAM.  In fact, I was going to add that to my last post, but time got away from me.

But, yes, it seemed like every other scene would climax in a shouting match between characters.  In the past, AMC always had been about the "brotherhood of man," with a community of people who loved and cared for one another, even when they might have been at odds.  With Megan McTavish as HW, however, Pine Valley became a cold and dark place to visit.  Lorraine Broderick restored some of the show's warmth and humanity when she came back as HW, but it never was the same.

You also have to take into account that Pamela K. Long was the HW for most of Calhoun's run and that, aside from some major storylines, the magic with her might have been gone.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Friday the 13th.  In retrospect, probably the first, big clue that hiring RKK maybe wasn't the best idea.

That's probably why ABCD kept hiring Megan McTavish and re-hiring her, but her career trajectory definitely proves that the law of diminishing returns is no fluke.

We know by now how Victor Miller and Wisner Washam felt about working with her, but I'd love to know whether others - Agnes Nixon, Lorraine Broderick, Felicia Minei Behr, etc. - felt the same way.

Edited by Khan

• Members

She did that to GL too..besides the infamous Brent/Marion (killing yet another Mom and making jokes about it..making a dumb girl believe she is HIV positive) Roger and Holly lost all their nuance and he became EVIL (even wanting to drug Dinah and murder her) Amanda an amoral madame, Josh hating Reva when she returned, AM resenting Phillip when he returned..Phillip thinking anyone in his family, including Alex, who always supported him, could frame him...and just generally all connections between the interconnected families of GL were downplayed...Bridget stopped being involved with Uncle Ed, never talked to Chele, Chele called Nola her aunt "Mrs. Chamberlin" and the same with Vanessa, her Mom's best friend..hell, McTavish even made Nola, a manic depressed loser!

That is why I never understood why and how she screwed herself and the show later...she saw what worked and what was successful..why ruin it?

Id love to see what they had to say, she seems such an odd person/writer.