Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

In NYC, officials are setting aside the Jacob K. Javitz Center, which, if you know NYC/Manhattan streetscape, is quite far removed from the center of Midtown Manhattan, down by 11th Avenue, which is pretty isolated and was never that accessible (but hopefully is moreso now).  If something like that is going to work, it's probably going to have to be in a setup similar to this.

I hope this will be of serious consideration even after the most serious dangers have passed. This pandemic has really shined a light on all the deficiencies in the system. It should be a point of civic pride to fix the deficiencies. Or else, what type of society/world are we living in??

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I do really bad for homeless people in a time like this. They are already at serious risk for various dangers as it is. And now they are even more at risk with this situation regarding this virus. Some of them not being able to keep up with their personal hygiene because the gyms are closing is just the tip of their problems.

I did read about what Newsome was doing and I wish more could/would be done to help them all over this country. I did see somewhere that some of them were actually taking over houses in places like California that were owned by the state and living in them. Now granted, that also presents it's sets of problems. But I can understand that they are scared and vulnerable and how more than ever, they really don't want and need to be on the streets right now. 

I also saw some one post a statistic, that there are actually more homes than homeless people. (I think it's like a 6:1 ratio or something like that.) That is shameful and more needs to be done to help them during and after this pandemic.

Edited by xtr

• Members

A lot of people buy up empty houses and then leave them, as they are just for tax purposes. Some activists in California have begun squatting in the houses (although they don't call it that anymore). It will probably end soon enough, but the idea is sound.

• Members

I think all of this what if this and that right now is not really first priority. Can we just say first of all we were not prepared for this. South Korea has restrictions but they have also been able to contain and manage it because - lets all say it - testing. This country - remember the richest country in the history of the world - still is not properly preparing for testing people.

I work out of my home for the most part - visiting clients as needs warrant it - I was notified last week I was exposed to someone with COVID-19 the week before last when I was at a client site in a meeting with that person. So I have been self isolating. Which even as a home worker and with a senior mom who lives in a retirement community yet sort of depends on me is hard. You know what I could do if testing was available to everyone - get tested. But I can't because while I have been exposed to someone, I don't have any symptoms. I guess I am only speaking for myself but if I could test and find out I don't have it it would be a weight off my mind and I can now work on protecting myself and those around me more thoroughly. 

And how long does this impact the folks most at risk. Will moms retirement community still be on semi lockdown because they are an at risk population? What about people sneezing and coughing who has a cold. Do they go home?

I don't have the answers but sending folks back to work now when we still don't know the scope is irresponsible.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Thanks I am not ill and I just have a few more days. I'm generally healthy, my breast cancer was almost 20 years ago when I was young, so I don't have any underlying health issues. Never smoked. It's the unknown that we are still dealing with. If testing and the type of tracking and containment South Korea is doing was available here, we would all know a while lot more at this point. Even this weekend people were still in Florida partying it up as if there is no care in the world.

• Members

I think we're gonna have to learn how to handle situations like this better in the future, because I don't think this is the last time something like this will happen.

We humans may think that we're above nature, but we're not and nature is making that abundantly clear to us now. We've used and abused our planet for too long, and nature is now beginning to strike back.

• Members

I'm already so tired of trying to remember not to touch my face.  It's impossible.  And it's mental...as soon as someone tells you not to do something...like in this instance I feel like my nose or ears or face in general is itching.  And because of allergies my nose has been running for the last month as-is.  I didn't go out all weekend...and now people are saying what we've been saying.  The virus isn't just going to go away - 2 weeks off or closing until mid April....the virus will still be here.  The DC metro area had the largest increase yesterday yet.  And yes, it's because people weren't being tested so we knew more people had it because of lack of testing, but it's just now really beginning to spread.  And the more people that get it and don't follow warnings the more it will spread.  I can't even imagine if schools were open in this county.  We have 16 large High Schools and countless middle schools and elementary schools.  

• Members

Better to do that, I guess, than face the possibility of being voted out of office after only one term.

I'll give you a hint:

Please register in order to view this content

Same.

Edited by Khan