Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

The reason Italy is in such bad shape?

1: Second oldest population on earth

2: 5 1/2 times the population density of the US

3: 12% higher smoking rate that the US

4: extensive use of public transit (trains)

5: Very high percentage of people living in apartments, and not single family homes.

6: Large percentage of citizens that only bathe once or twice a week.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jim Cramer is Jewish, so I feel pretty confident he wasn't referring to Nazi Germany. He's talking about putting a sticker on people before air travel, after they have tested negative. Apparently there are countries doing that, of course, first you would need a lot of tests, which we don't have.  Obviously, he chose his words on live TV poorly, but it's not the same thing at all.

Trump is the one who turned down tests from the WHO, which is directly related to the fact that parts of the country are in lock down versus following the South Korea model ( I won't cite China because God alone knows what's really happening there). You bet I blame him for the confusion and delay. If we had been able to test 6 weeks ago we wouldn't be where we are right now, imo.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

It's because your hands come into contact with the virus, and you are constantly touching other parts of your body. A little itch, you adjust your clothing, etc. It's not everyone who bathes less frequently, just a larger percentage. It's simply a cultural difference, like women not shaving their armpits. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Don't pay that racist troll any mind.

Start the clock: Donald Trump gives Dr. Fauci the heave-ho in five, four, three, two....

Stephen Miller is Jewish, too.  But, that doesn't stop him from wanting to shut down the borders to everyone who isn't white.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't see the connection. Marking people safe to get on an airplane is hardly the same as making people wear a star and putting them in cattle cars to concentration camps.  Why wouldn't we want to test people before putting them in a highly contagious situation? It's apples and oranges to say the least.

• Members

Excuse me, what? Didn't know that such stereotypes still exist... You know, people have running water and electricity in Europe these days... 

Lombardia, the most affected region, is Italy's economic center. The people there are wealthy (it is the wealthiest non-capital city in the European Union) and living there is expensive, especially in Milan, the country's fashion capital.