Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My brother-in-law had the Moderna vaccine. More people that I've talked to that have had the nasty side effects had Moderna. The one exception I've heard so far is from my gynecologist when I had my yearly exam a couple of weeks ago. She said she took both of her Moderna doses on Friday afternoons so she'd have the weekend to recover if need be. Thankfully, she didn't have any major problems.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I got the Pfizer vaccine and all of my co-workers including the ones who had severe reactions to the second dose got the Pfizer vaccine.

I hope everyone's parents end up being okay. My dad got his first shot almost a couple of weeks ago at the VA Clinic. I think he got the Moderna one as well, as his second shot is almost a month away. The first shot was fine, and I will also be checking on him after the second shot.

I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday morning before 8am. 37+ hours later and I am fine. I currently haven't experienced any severe side effects, I just had some arm soreness for like a day or so. I did hydrate a lot for a few days before the shot, including the day before and of it. I drunk a bunch of water and Body Armour sports drink. I do believe that made a difference. The co-workers that I talked to that ended up being fine/not having severe side effects, were people who stayed hydrated before and the day of the shot. They recommended that I do the same and I'm glad I did. 

I think that some of the people who didn't hydrate as much had the more severe side effects. I recommend people drink a good amount of water/fluid around the time of the second shot (and in general). I also drink immune booster drinks with vitamin d and zinc and have been drinking them for months, along with taking immune vitamins. I deal with a bunch of exposure at work, working for/dealing with a lot of the military so I try and protect myself as much as I can.

We had several other people get their second shots yesterday like I did and as far as far as I know at least most of them are okay. Most of them were also older people. I didn't hear of anymore else experiencing severe side effects, though some people mentioned arm soreness, being tired and someone did mention that they lost their sense of taste for a bit. But now they are fine. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I'm glad your parents are feeling okay and that you didn't have severe side effects from the second shot. And I definitely think there is something to staying hydrated.

The lady from work that I mentioned who had the most severe symptoms is someone who doesn't like to drink water. I do believe there may be something to that. I definitely recommend people stay hydrated, it wouldn't hurt and could definitely help.

So far at work we've had at least 17 people vaccinated. All of them were pretty much fine after the first shot outside of arm soreness and one was a little fatigued.  The second shot at least two of them had very severe reactions and had to miss work. Others didn't have as severe reactions but did report more side effects from the first shot like headache, tiredness, and loss of taste. I think it's important that people are informed of about the different side effects that can happen and hopefully most people won't have severe ones. 

I do have quite a few co-workers who refused to get vaccinated for various reasons. Some of them are afraid of the vaccine and possible side effects. Others have health issues and it may not be safe for them to get the shot right now. The base where I work is no longer giving out first shots, they are only giving out second shots. So it might be a while before people can the opportunity to get their first shot. I live in NC and I think we may be doing a nice job with vaccinations and things like hospitalizations from COVID are down here. 

• Members

Yesterday, we passed our 14 days since our 2nd dose and should be as protected as we can.  I have not eaten anything in 11 months that I haven't cooked myself....no take out or anything.  In the next few days I am calling our favorite sushi spot and ordering some rolls to go.  It sounds so wonderful!