First Soap Magazine Purchase

• Members

Who else remembers the 1st soap magazine they purchased?

Mine was the December 5, 1995 issue of Soap Digest. I was in 7th grade, love(d) Nikki Newman, and HAD to own this issue. I had just come from a family xmas party and the kmart in town still had the old issue on the shelf three days after the holiday. It was a month old issue, but I just didnt care!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Roughly the same time and same age. September of 1995. Mom purchased it for me. I had recently started watching DAYS in the summer and went back to 7th grade in the fall. After a week without, I had to start taping it every day. And still the 24-year habit continues... 

Please register in order to view this content

The Hope/Bo/Billie storyline was my favorite, and here comes news (to us) that Billie was leaving!

• Members

1995-98 soaps really helped to raise me in some ways and I coveted any soap magazine I could get my hands on. Sometimes the local public library would have old issues of the mags in the free used book section.

Anyway I felt like an outcast buying this magazine and I could feel the Kmart cashier’s eyes piercing right through me. I am a black trans woman adopted by white parents and this was before I transitioned. Boy, I wish we had self checkout then, even tho I would still have to hide it from my parents

My first soap mag was the  SOD issue featuring the GH 25th anniversary. I was at a supermarket. I was 13 and my mom bought it for me. Over a year later. At a newsstand near my high school. I was buying comics. When i came across the first issue of Soap Opera Weekly. I became hooked to the soap mags. Which i used to read during study hall. I never felt any shame buying them. Even through i'm an albino hermaphrodite.  Adopted by traveling gypsies. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I think it was this one. I was already watching daytime but I wanted this because of 90210.  My mom never let me buy soap magazines.  I was sick and she felt bad so she ran back in and got it for me lol. Thanks mom.

Please register in order to view this content

I remember going to visit my dad (parents divorced) every weekend and making him take me to the candy store every time so I could buy the soap magazines and then I would read them in the car and ignore him. Ah, the pre-internet days.