Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin indicted in bribery case

• Members

I've always thought William H Macy was a brilliant actor - I still do - but he's so good at playing seedy characters I've sometimes wondered if he was a bit of a grifter at heart. I guess he was as he managed to get out of the charges...

Felicity's played so many unlikeable characters but I just figured it was down to her acting abilities. This is what her characters would do too. Life imitates art I suppose. I'm not sure this will affect her career as it's always been off the beaten path anyway.

I'm not as surprised about Lori, for some reason. 

This is really going to ruin her Hallmark career, because their core audience is probably parents and grandparents seething at this news.

Imagine if Mike Karr had to prosecute her and Draper was defending her? 

Henry Slesar is somewhere writing up the scripts as we speak. 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'll be surprised if they face major career damage tbh. This is something you can PR, unlike a #MeToo scandal. It's absolutely something they should pay for, but career-wise I think Lori at least can recover. (And William H. Macy certainly will) For better or worse, owing to her years on TV she can work that circuit to make her case.

Has Hallmark really not employed anyone with a spicier past than this? I find that hard to believe.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Living in a community with a sizeable wealthy population this doesn't much surprise me. My mom ran for school board and we met a lot of parents who are 24/7 invested in their kids education, especially the mothers. They bankroll whatever they can. The mothers who don't have much money are just as obssesive too and use organizing to gain power. So far no one around here has been caught bribing schools, but they have the same sort of ambition as Huffman and Loughlin probably have.

I understand wanting to best for your kids but being dishonest really does nothing to help then in the long run and cheats honest families out of opportunities.

• Members

The part that gets me is that the ones who had their kids dress up to pretend they were star athletes. The kids must have been in on it but the ones who weren't - it's like something out of one of those 'wacky family sitcoms with screwed up parents' ABC loves these days. 

I think there must be people at Hallmark who have committed worse crimes, I just wonder if this is one of those scandals that hits too close to home for their viewing bracket. 

I don't think she or Felicity deserve to be banished (it is something that is very common - the people running this scheme must have keyed the wrong person's car or something). I wish this could lead to some positive changes in higher ed. We all know it won't of course.

• Members

Apparently most of the kids didn't know. I've heard tell that Lori's kid is super spoiled and didn't attend classes, but that's thirdhand hearsay. I'm sure they're not all brats (probably).

That being said, they got caught and they deserve what they get. But no, I wouldn't need them banished from entertainment. It is pretty foul/hilarious though. I mean, come on, making them dress up?!

• Members

Agreed. It's fairly easy to cry and say that "I just wanted what is best for my kids" on Dr. Phil or perhaps on an Oprah special.

Aside from casting some people who might have been on Cinemax late at night Hallmark casting is fairly squeaky clean.

• Members

Well, there IS Jodie Sweetin, who's been married eleven hundred times, and who has a history of drug abuse.  However, that was pre-Hallmark.  She has since cleaned up her act (or so she says) and so Crown Media believes her to be worthy of their craptastic original movies.

Yeah, that irks me as well.  Why must Lori and Felicity go down for this WITHOUT their husbands?  There's no way they couldn't have been complicit!

On the bright side, Felicity and Lori could play themselves in the Lifetime Original Movie!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's too bad that the working class doesn't have a good lobbying group.  These are the same muthafuckas who try to tell intelligent but low-income students that they're too poor to attend certain schools, and that's to the students whose grades qualified them for outright acceptance.

This makes me angry, the more I read about it because I've always gotten low-key resentment from white men, especially who, when they found out what schools I attended (college and graduate schools), they will say something like "My son applied to _____ College or _____University and he didn't get in...hmph" and always with a quizzical look at me on their faces.

This is more than just two actresses but they are the highest visible perpetrators.  Tell me something...are their faces going to be in the news as much as Jesse Smollett's?  Because as far as I'm concerned, they've adversely impacted as many lives as he has with their fraud.

• Members

Charges might be based on who wrote the checks. If Huffman and Loughlin wrote checks off of an individual one as opposed to a joint one then it might be hard to charge their husbands even if they were on board.

Looks as if Loughlin may have skipped town