Sign in to follow this  
ReddFoxx

Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin indicted in bribery case

Thanks for posting all of this information. I'm surprised, but this has been going on for years, though it was things like "we'll buy a building" or something.

Here's the list of all of the people charged.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme

For as much attention as the Hollywood types are getting, I'd like to see an investigation in to all the other people named on this list. I bet you'll find a lot of prep school types a la Brett Kavanaugh.

58 minutes ago, j swift said:

my first response was - you can pay to get a kid into college, but you can't make them pass their classes

Despite skepticism about college entrance exams, 9.8 times out of 10 they correctly predict who will complete a college curriculum.  Thus, I can't think of a worse investment than paying $15,000 to $500,000 to get your kid into a school that they will not complete.  The Huffman kid got an increased score of 40%, from a low average score to a high average score, which is way beyond any increase that could have been due to chance.  That family is only fooling themselves if they think she could, (or should), compete at a top 20 school. 

Of course, this has been going on forever (cough, cough Bush) but it is the FBI investigation and the third party scheming that makes this case so interesting.

Well, once you cheat to get in, what will stop them for continuing this kind of behavior.  This is where the donations to a library wing, etc come in and we already know that elite athlete get put on a easy track at these types of institutions.

32 minutes ago, marceline said:

Here's the list of all of the people charged.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme

For as much attention as the Hollywood types are getting, I'd like to see an investigation in to all the other people named on this list. I bet you'll find a lot of prep school types a la Brett Kavanaugh.

You will definitely find those types. Sometimes when I hear some graduates of prestigious colleges speak I wonder how they got there because they don't speak that well and don't seem that smart. To an extent, education has become less about knowledge and more about social status and name dropping colleges.

2 hours ago, jcar03 said:

This is where the donations to a library wing, etc come in and we already know that elite athlete get put on a easy track at these types of institutions.

That's what is so gross about this case.  At least, the Kennedy and Bush Family gave buildings that benefited all students.  It could be argued that it was a fair trade.  These people just cheated the system.  Even the coaches were lining their own pockets rather than using donations to try to enrich their teams.

Edited by j swift

I am torn by this news, and I'll explain why.  My heart aches to think that this happened to Lori Loughlin,

Edge's first Jody Travis.  

On the other hand, I can, proudly, say, that I graduated from Magna CumLaude college, as an inductee of five

honor societies: The History Honor Society, the Psychology Honor Society, the National Honor Society for

General Academic Excellence, the Graduate Education Honor Society and 'Who's Who Among Students in

American Universities & Colleges,' which honors the top 10% of college graduates.  Under the best of circumstances,

this would be no mean feat to accomplish, but, I did all of that, despite losing both of my parents, while in college.

I can tell you that my father died, suddenly, the day that Sky and Raven Whitney found their stolen fortune (December

23, 1983).  A year later, I lost my beloved Edge.  

I felt the loss of an Edge, as deeply, as it was a family member.  I thank God, every day, that circumstances allowed me to

be invited to the studio, on its final day of taping.

I am, now, virtually, disabled and home-bound, due to illness.  I look back and wonder, how I, ever, managed to accomplish

all that I did.  So many times, I was tempted to drop out, but I didn't.

I have, my dear late wife to thank for convincing me, to stick it out.

We had only known each other, for a few months, when my father died.  We had no commitments to each other, yet,

she believed in me.

She, like my father, died, suddenly.  I miss her, terribly.

54 minutes ago, RipVanWinkle said:

I am torn by this news, and I'll explain why.  My heart aches to think that this happened to Lori Loughlin,

Edge's first Jody Travis.  

It didn't happen to her, she perpetrated a crime. The crime happened to other people. People who didn't get into these schools because she cheated her child's way in.  They are the victims. It's greedy, disgusting, criminal behavior and there is no excuse.  But it does get worse.

7 hours ago, Juliajms said:

I hope they do time, and I don't give a f*ck about their future careers. 

I agree, and me neither.

6 hours ago, Vee said:

Glenda Jackson?  LOL!

4 hours ago, dragonflies said:

It's the episode of "Shameless" you never thought you'd see!

I seem to remember Lori Loughlin's husband, Mossimo Giannulli, made the news for financial troubles years ago. I don't remember exactly what the situation was, and so far Googling hasn't helped. Does anyone else remember?

2 minutes ago, Khan said:

There's a "Gregory Abbott" on that list, but I really hope it's not THIS "Gregory Abbott":

If it is, then the name of that song just took on a whole new meaning!!!

29 minutes ago, RipVanWinkle said:

Juliajms, Please forgive me, for the poor choice of words.  You are right, if these charges are true, Lori Loughlin brought this on, herself.

No problem.  I didn't mean to come across so vociferously.  I'm just frustrated by the things wealthy, famous people get away with sometimes.  I recognize that this wasn't the crime of the century. In many ways it's really just business as usual, but it shouldn't be.

21 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Wow, for once I actually agree with something NLG says!!

🤣 I had that same exact thought.

45 minutes ago, Khan said:

There's a "Gregory Abbott" on that list, but I really hope it's not THIS "Gregory Abbott":

I doubt he has the sort of cash to pay to play, lol.