The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

One of the aspects of NYC living that I missed most had been the NYC Public Library system, even more so when I had discovered they had access to Kanopy. Well, call me tardy, because I just found out that the NYPL cut Kanopy, citing high costs. It makes me wonder how much longer Kanopy will be sustainable and will other library systems follow suit?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, it's not surprising to see the media rushing to praise Irving, as they do any anti-vaxx figure. 

I have mostly just seen right wing figures talking about this story (that includes David Lat, unless he has changed over the years), which is unfortunate, because, while this is not a pressing issue, I do think it's important as a reminder of how much certain journalists try to play god. Katie Couric has decided to try to sell books by confessing to not fully publishing some of the comments RBG made about Colin Kaepernick kneeling. 

• Members

He's not missed here in Cleveland, where he hadn't gone full-blown conspiracy theorist, but almost. Thank you, Kyrie, for the 3-pointer that won Cleveland its first championship since 1964, but I'm glad you're barred from playing now. Good for the Nets for not backing down.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

This is more an Atlantic thing. The media is fascinated with "vaccine hesitancy" bc they always try to cater to 'the real America' but they've also excoriated the antivaxx problem without always making the direct connection to the 'hesitant' people they love to cover. Whereas the Atlantic, in recent months and years, has become fascinated with posting the most contrarian takes possible. This is their unique wheelhouse.

• Members

Sam Stein of, wait for it, Politico gets ratioed over snarking about Buttigieg being "MIA" on paternity leave, then digs in against basically half of political Twitter including Politico nemesis Neera Tanden before throwing a fit and logging off/ragequitting. This is just a small taste of the rest I won't post.