The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

That's why it's misguided to lionize or revere these talking heads, just by what you see on television. Many of them are glorified script readers at best.

I kind of prefer the title that they are given in Britain, that if newsreader, because that's essentially what they do, they read the news. Actual journalists research, write and deliver their own news stories.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It wasn't high risk. If you talked to people in California this was never going to be successful no matter who ran.  The California machine does the same thing the Illinois machine does for the democrats - they downplay even when their internal polls show their candidates way ahead. I can't tell you how many times it's happened here in Illinois. The local media is smart enough to see through it. The national media continues to clown themselves. Nate Silver has embarrassed and discredited himself many times over in the past few years. His attempts to be a twitter epidemiologist has turned that moron into a complete clown and joke.

• Members

I think given the last time the recall happened, there was a lot of blame over a Democrat running a major campaign on the second ballot (even though I doubt that was the deciding factor), some of the concern was justified. Silver just made it too much of an absolute and came across as insufferably smug, yet again. 

• Members

Just want to say I appreciate this thread.  Sometimes I read something in the news and think WTF did did that "reporter" just say? Or how could that "reputable" newspaper be printing something so obviously untrue? And then I come here and see that I'm not the only one thinking that.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Today's Politico/Jennifer Rubin high school beef (which I will not link) of their own making may be a new low for Politico. I know exactly who Rubin is and where she's been and I have no illusions about her, but this is an outlet doing a diss track/burn book and trying to make it into 'news' because they and other Beltway reporters are pissed and feeling the heat from a changed consumer climate in the social media age. Rubin's op-eds are simply the tip of the spear. It's Gossip Girl level [!@#$%^&*].