The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Another show I loved that has gone down the tubes. The days of Charles Kuralt and Osgood gone. I think the last show I enjoyed was the one with Olivia Newton-John in 2019 discussing her career and cancer recurring for the third time.  Loved seeing her looking and seeming to feel good even if it was Gayle King interviewing her. She actually still fit into the leather pants she wore in Grease.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I read the Shelly Ross op-ed piece in the NY Times this morning and I have some thoughts.  For those who have not seen the reporting on Ms. Ross's essay, most of the social media coverage has been about an incident in 2005, 16 years ago, when Chris Cuomo grabbed Ms. Ross's ass at her goodbye party when they both worked at ABC.

However, I think the headline (which was written by an editor as clickbate) and the coverage diverts attention form Ms. Ross's actual opinion.  She clearly states that she swatted his hand away and he wrote her an apology followed by a phone call stating his regrets the next day.  She also notes that she doesn't want him cancelled or fired.

Her objection is that Cuomo was allowed to continue reporting for CNN while consulting with his brother on sexual harassment charges.  I guess we are to infer that Chris not only shouldn't have consulted with Mario due to his job at CNN, but also because he had a history of harassment with Ms. Ross.

Yet, I have two issues with this piece.  First, why now?  There have multiple reports on how inappropriate it was for Chris to consult with Mario, and CNN publicly condemned the behavior.  Second, does an ass grab followed by a poorly written apology make the first offense any worse?  I would argue that it doesn't.  Whether or not Chris Cuomo grabs asses in the workplace, he shouldn't have been allowed to report on his brothers allegations while employed at CNN.  It may seem natural to advise one's brother when they are in a crisis, but the fact that it was so well known, should have required consequences for Chris at CNN.

As for Ms. Ross, I am grateful that the digital edition linked to stories about her poor management style which got her fired at ABC and CBS.  Because, for me the only thing that this op-ed piece really validated is that people in privileged positions, like Ross and Cuomo, are allowed to continue to be bad managers as they move from one company to the next, based on who they know rather than any demonstration of their skills.  But, as we've all experienced. that is true in media, business, or the local coffee shop.

Edited by j swift