• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hey, let's hear it for me! 

Please register in order to view this content

But seriously.  I -- I mean, HE -- is right about the many demographics in this country, including African-Americans and South Asians, who are woefully underrepresented by the network and cable news networks. 

J.C. Watts' involvement in this venture aside, I'm excited to see where this goes.  (J.C. Watts might be a football hero to many Oklahomans and OU fans, but to many African-Americans here, he's seen as an Uncle Tom, because he virtually ignored our support when he ran for office, choosing instead to cosy up to old, white Republicans.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Netflix seemed to be quite successful when they placed more of a priority on distributing films by little-known and first-time filmmakers, e.g. Ava Duvernay's In The Middle Of Nowhere but it looks like it is their buying up big-budget fare, (some of which doesn't do well in numbers or even critically) may truly be what is putting the company "in the red".

So many streaming companies are now coming onto the landscape as competitors to Netflix and using some variation of Netflix's production model.  I wonder whether there will be similar problems ahead for these streaming platforms?  Combine this with the growing subscriber fee fatigue (and just broke wallets).  

But unless Netflix is over-bidding (which is entirely possible, since it has been known to happen at Sundance more than once), I'm skeptical as to whether it is first-time and unproven writers who are busting the budget as I would think their rates would be more economical.  I think perhaps it might be a lot of big names whose projects have not produced the numbers that require a lot of money for the production budget and contracts.

• Members

Splinter, the hard left political site, shuttered earlier this month (I'm sorry for the people who lost their jobs, even if I disagreed with the tone and takes of much of the site). Now one of its sister sites, Deadspin, seems to be careening towards death - they came down hard on the writers for various reasons (like political commentary and disapproving of autoplay ads) and finally fired an editor a few days ago. This has led to en masse resignations. 

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/deadspin-writers-quitting-g-o-media-controversy-01drf9syxbdp

• Members

I mean, I agree their new corporate overlords are scum. But I also think much of the Gawker Media site folks bought and paid for this ongoing slow motion destruction by playing the cool kids, livetweeting their tantrums over Hogan‘s sex tape, or whether they can or can’t out professional competitors at Conde Nast with no public profile, and still acting like they’re doing it all out of some great spirit of revolution and speaking truth to power.

I remember their lowlights; it was scummy shít. Whenever they got in hot water they'd default to “lol we’re just bloggers, don’t hold us to any standards”. And then whenever they couldn't do as they pleased, they’d throw tantrums in posts or liveblog on twitter and whine and demand to be taken seriously as journalists again. Big surprise the creeps from Wall Street or wherever don’t respond to passive aggressive protest posts that were able to cow overindulgent daddy figure and former owner Nick Denton. This new mythology about Gawker actually being journalistic crusaders is their own revisionism, including at the satellite sites, some of whom have good journalists but it’s not exactly John Reed in the Russian Revolution. There’s also a lot of incestuous bullshit re: what they sometimes cover, especially at Kotaku and io9.

They got high on their own supply and stayed there, and now they’re still trying to operate like they’re Nick Denton’s overindulged children. Tweeting through it will not save the company. Foolish choices killed it. Some of them have done good work there at those sites, and elsewhere. They should go do that.

Meanwhile: