The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

How will the CBS/Viacom "re-merger" affect the quality of CBS' current programming?  Under Moonves' watch, CBS began steering itself toward programs that were heavily procedural, with a pro-male/pro-conservative bent.  Do y'all think this move will change that any?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Shari Redstone, who will now be the controlling shareholder of both companies, couldn't stand Les Moonves. The feeling was likely mutual. Just speculation but with all the turmoil CBS has been in for the past couple years, why wouldn't she seek to change some things?  Every exec who ascends to the top job usually seeks to put his/her stamp on the company that they run, no? 

Interesting how the article mentions that the last time CBS and Viacom were (briefly) merged, Redstone was frustrated by what he saw as "few if any transformative acquisition properties on the horizon".  

Well, something tells me that that will not be the case this time around with the plethora of programming springing up. 

Wow, Phillipe Dauman was also ousted after engaging in a power struggle with Shari Redstone?  I never knew that!  I know Shari Redstone was not one to be messed with but I didn't realize the extent to which this is true! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...