The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The NYT is being hammered by everyone for doing that story - "#CancelNYT" is trending.

The fundamental issue at NYTimes is that its editorial staff is largely privileged older men who see everything as part of the game - and still lean center-right. Dean Baquet has repeatedly dismissed Trump as "just another Edwin Edwards figure" like he used to cover on his old beat. They see this all as just the normal political world, and they desperately curry favor with conservatives so as to not seem liberal. In doing so, they enable them.

Case in point: the Sabrina Tavernise mess this morning, as well as Ken Vogel, who unwittingly kicked all this off while looking to carry water for Trump and Rudy. From last week, before all this:

And now:

• Members

I'm going to go on ahead and admit that I don't read the NYT nearly as much as they used to for many reasons but their paywall has just irritated me into curtailing how much I read their articles.  I'll admit that I never actually had a paid subscription. Since about 1998/99 when NYT began to put their news online, I had an account and would get the headlines delivered to my inbox.  It worked for me, this way, for a good solid decade before changes began to gradually take effect. There was an allotment of articles 10 a day, which was eventually whittled to 5 day. And even then, with the use of the incognito browser function, that was a workaround (yes, I'm telling on myself) but recently, NYT closed that loophole. 

I guess I'd feel worse about the sorry state of the NYT if they still allowed more access, and yeah, better reportage. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer