• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh, fúck that. I work freelance (not in journalism) and net 30-40 can be brutal, let alone net 90. Unacceptable.

Maggie Haberman and the NYT have been getting skewered online all day for their Hope Hicks puff piece and I'm here for it. Can't link stuff atm sadly.

• Members

My goodness.

I have always disliked her, since she worked at the AVclub.

With this piece of writing, I dislike her even more.

Season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale was quite good. Season 2 was quite bad. What will season 3 be? I have no idea based on this review, because Emily spends the entire time talking about herself, just like she has always done.

• Members

I too am quite tired of the 'critic as personal journey' cottage industry. It just feels like an endless audition reel to get out of low-paying journalism. Soon to follow: The novel, film, TV pitch. Like any other writer, except your job wasn't supposed to be about you.

I want to be happy for her, but I find equating her struggles with over-identifying with TV show The Handmaid's Tale kind of the height of insular nerd excess and dangerously immature. Though I suppose many shows have made a difference in people's lives by letting them see themselves in many shows and characters, and that can't be discounted. I just think TV critic Emily VanDerWerff, who was previously a married male with a child and feted by a bubble of TV/entertainment journo twitter no matter what they did as Todd, then reaching into the job they do and using it to actualize themselves feels both opportunistic and a bit delusional. That has nothing to do with being transgender, but it does have to do with some kind of self-insertion thing. I don't know. I'm probably just a retrograde bitch.

• Members

The heat around the NYT and Maggie Haberman has gotten worse. As is the editorial staff's wont these days without a public editor, they ran a piece 'answering reader questions' in which they said they'd examined her Hope Hicks story and found nothing wrong with her/their work, then hastily closed it to comments after a hundred replies. They also did this with her latest story which appears to draw superficial comparisons between the Trumps and the royals as well as the Kennedys.

• Members

EW had some pretty good content in the '90s but as the years passed became very generic. 

I'm so glad that man said what he said to Soledad O'Brien. She was a part of a media that was just as craven and despicable as what we have now. 

• 1 month later...