The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've been wary of the NYT since they merrily took us to war in Iraq, and since one of their critics ghoulishly belittled Matthew Shepard's friends and supporters back when other hacks like Elizabeth Vargas were pushing a narrative about his murder not being a hate crime and how sorry we should feel for his murderers. But they've gone above and beyond lately. 

Trump is wrong about 99.99999% of things, but he is right about how dangerous the media in this country is. Even now they are actively pushing their own egos and grudges above the well-being of us all. They truly do not care if we live or die. It's incredibly disturbing, and is only getting worse.

• Members

Wow, thankfully I missed that entire era of NYT.  I was in grad school and too busy to read 95% of their articles. I do remember the bitterness I felt at the decision to invade Iraq.  What I know of Elizabeth Vargas is mostly her personal struggles against alcoholism, I didn't realize that she was pushing such a vile narrative but I rarely watch 20/20.

• Members

I don't mean to begrudge Vargas for her struggles, and I know others at ABC were also involved, but the whole thing made me feel sick. This has been a longstanding narrative for the man who produced the 20/20 special and more recently wrote a book about Shepard's murder.  

https://thinkprogress.org/the-book-of-matt-doesn-t-prove-anything-other-than-the-size-of-stephen-jimenez-s-ego-c7ba5d0becee/