The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

People have been scoffing at the likes of Crackle, Pluto, etc. but those ad supported sites, along with sites like IMDB.tv seem to be uniquely positioned to make considerable gains.

Digital substations (Bounce TV, Cozi, Antenna, etc.) that are accessible with an antenna are also positioned to get more viewers because they don't require internet bandwidth or cable/satellite.

• Members

Speaking for myself, Netflix has many documentaries and shows that I have yet to see and others that I had fallen behind and have to catch up on, so I won't be one of those people. 

Also, with Netflix's production model there are movies and series already in the pipeline set to debut throughout the summer into autumn.  It's later in the year and early next year when the streaming service will likely be affected due to the projects that are currently in production that have now been halted.

• Members

Yeah, but I thought the tweets were talking about Netflix's growth in the next few months. You enjoy the documentaries but apparently you're already a Netflix user. I don't see how the platform will attract any new consumers without new products. Because they'll definitely run out of them. We'll see

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yeah, there are many unknowns but I think the tweets were mentioning some migration from cable subscribers looking to cut costs but I don't believe it will be huge numbers, maybe just sustaining the way that the tweet mentions Sirius/XM during the Great Recession.

I realize that Ball mentions that TV revenues could take a hard hit.  Network TV looks the most vulnerable (i.e. daytime TV, primetime, etc.). I don't think this includes ad supported streaming platforms like IMDB TV that is backed by the mighty Amazon that mostly advertises its own products and services on IMDB TV.  For almost a year, I've been saying that Procter & Gamble, if they were smart would've done something similar with their shows (and since PGP already owns their own creative products, they wouldn't be paying other studios or production companies) but they couldn't be bothered. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...