The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

I finally cancelled my subscription. I'll have to do without except I did keep my subscription to the crosswords. Amidst all of this with that paper I thought there was still some decent journalism going on and I still do. But not because of the leadership, despite it. The fact Bennett after everything is still seen favorably after his atrocious management of the opinion section, is frankly inexcusable. Sulzberger thinking he's still leadership material tells me this paper isn't going to change or get better. I am all for reading a diversity of opinions in the opinion section, but the editorial staff makes the decision on the content they publish. They get hundreds of submissions a week and they go out of their way to invite this garbage from Cotton. The only good thing this did is probably ended any aspirations he has. But putting the actual content aside, the op-ed was poorly written. Who edited the piece?

Anyone who thinks Bari Weiss has anything of value to contribute has their head in their you know what. Her own history of blocking, reporting, and attempting to get people fired whose views do not align with hers is the utmost hypocrisy of this entire cancel culture garbage. The fact she can go on social media and blatantly lie about the response to the editorial should get her canned. But it won't. Stephens is a worm and tried to get a professor fired for calling him a bedbug on social media - hardly any kind of slur, at least none I am aware of. He's fragile and a poor writer. 

They need a diversity of opinions I concur but choosing people who lie and believe in conspiracies and push fascism ain't it. I frankly still can't believe they published something from a guy who promoted using military violence on American citizens. As if this is an opinion worthy of appearing there. That tells me all I need to know.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Agree.  I think what appalled me (and still appalls me) is that Bennet and/or his staff sought out Tom Cotton to write that disgusting editorial, rather than the other way around.  Learning about that tidbit changed my view on how editorial pages are run entirely.

• Members

IDK about all that; you probably make an excellent point.  I just think you shouldn't go out of your way as an editorial page editor to solicit opinions that you KNOW are inflammatory and dangerous.  It's one thing if Cotton had submitted the piece and Bennet had chosen to print it.  But, to ask for something you have to know has the potential to harm more than help?  It's like the journalism equivalent of asking Megan McTavish to pen a story about a lesbian getting pregnant as a result of rape.  (Oh, wait.)

• Members

She's the epitome of failing upwards. Last week she was whining about her neighborhood in New York being a "war zone" (or something like that). A neighbor pointed out that it was not, and she hasn't even been there in months. This then led to her whining because she said people were trying to find out where she and her ugly bootlicking husband are living.