Y&R-Mal Young Out, Josh Griffith Taking Over

• Members

Morina's credits also include Santa Barbara from 1991-1993, Sunset Beach in 1997, Port Charles from 1998-2002, General Hospital 2002-2006, and All My Children in 2007.

What a horrible resume. And he started on Y&R in 2004. Which is the year where it truly started to fall apart.

You guys, it's just going to be more of the same. The show will continue to get worse until it's cancelled and then they'll spend the last few months bringing back old cast members in stories that makes little to no sense. This happens every single time.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what the show is going to look like now. It seems like Mal was building the show around the Rosales' and the new hires of Fen, Ana, Kerry etc. It may not have been good or welcomed by many but to me it seemed like a clear direction and building of maybe not a new but an altered foundation. What happens now? 

I hope they don't just outright fire all of them because I actually think the actors are quite good.

• Members

I don’t think they have to wipe out the Rosales clan, but they need to slow their role with them. There have been episodes since I started watching again where it was all about the whole family and that’s way too much too soon.

I would like to see Ana do more. And Kerry and Jack surprisingly have chemistry.

• Members

Agreed.  He has been on one bad era after another.  His GH tenure might be the only time that he was on a quality show.

For me, it was an era of GH that drive me away, but I can’t deny JFP and Guza produced quality episodes with stellar acting.  It was just too Sonny centric and  unrelentingly dark.

• Members

Is it any surprise that Y&R is getting another reboot aka (The ‘New’ Plan to SAVE DAYS!!!)? It’s Sony and everything they’ve done to DAYS in terms of cost cutting, new writers, cast changes, etc has been applied to Y&R

It’s not called show BUSINESS for nothing. It’s either this stuff or no show. 

• Members

I've liked what I've seen of spoilers/an upcoming episode regarding Fen/Ana, (And also Kyle). I don't care for Mia, but I really like some of the new people. I hope even with Mal gone, they will continue to write for, Ana, Fen, Kyle, Kerry. I also like Rey, though I think they need to make him less wishy-washy with his feelings over Mia/Sharon.  I do agree that they need to stop pushing the Rosales family as a whole so hard.

• Members

I liked Josh Griffith's OLTL over 20 years ago. Today he's a well-worn hack. The ashes of his darker side from that show have never been enough to gel with DAYS or Y&R, and I say that as someone who didn't think all his ideas at DAYS sucked (but the ones that did, like Ciara's rape, were unforgivable).

• Members

Ha! I haven't been interested in spilling said tea.

I was made aware of this just before the news broke, so, yeah. Apparently, all of this went down because Mal couldn't execute Angelica's vision and he was finally let go (She has no vision, but that's neither here nor there). It's a shame really. I don't know what went down when Josh came to Y&R, but something led to Mal firing. Tony Morina has been on the show for 14 years or so and is only now taking creative control of the ship. (John Fisher is Sony's stodge.) Again, even my best sources don't know what happened, but maybe Josh found an opening and pounced. Maybe Josh talked up the Rosales family which touched Angelica's heart. Who knows? The show is in a deplorable state, it looks like it's filmed in a community theatre seat, the actors aren't invested, the blocking is lazy, and it's a damn shame. I was last told Y&R had one of the biggest budgets in TV ($100m per year, cut to about $70m-$80m when JFP came on board - I need to pull my docs from the Sony hack to confirm), so there's no excuse for what we've seen on screen since they fired Maria Arena Bell. However, Steve Kent and Angelica McDaniel are still in control. Until they leave, round in circles we go.     

Televest was running P&G's daytime writer's program by 2007. I applied and was accepted. I kept pestering them for an update of what to do next when I received an email stating they were shutting it down and that was that. It was the same with ABC. They kept the program open, yet they never took on new writers. It was always: "Try again next year. We're giving it a hiatus. We'll be in touch, etc., etc., etc."

The internal way of moving up has been dulled, too. Sara Bibel & Michael Montgomery moved up the ranks internally under Kay's watch in the early-00s which may make them the last holdovers from the Bell era. 

• Members

Y&R needed a new family and more minority representation,  so on paper the Rosales fit the bill.

But basing a family around Arturo ( who hadn't been given much to do and was a fairly bland character) and featuring them while others were leaving wasn't a smart move.

If Rey were interacting with Paul and time was spent on him and Arturo before any others it may have worked better.

Archived