Jump to content
Roman

Y&R-Mal Young Out, Josh Griffith Taking Over

Recommended Posts

Just now, sivad40 said:

Yes, he is.

 

Y&R is just having a rotation of mediocre and washed up writers continually destroy the show in their own way. 

 

Who else are they gonna find?  Unless they allow writers to used pseudonyms to ghostwrite this show, I don't see how they attract self-respecting writers who value their resumes.

 

And the daytime drama industry shot itself in the foot long ago by failing to feed a non-incestuous pipeline of writing talent.  Instead, they opted to close ranks and (re)cycle the same small bunch of writers around in a loop, even as the most talented passed away and retired like fifteen/twenty years ago! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Who else are they gonna find?  Unless they allow writers to used pseudonyms to ghostwrite this show, I don't see how they attract self-respecting writers who value their resumes.

 

And the daytime drama industry shot itself in the foot long ago by failing to feed a non-incestuous pipeline of writing talent.  Instead, they opted to close ranks and (re)cycle the same small bunch of writers around in a loop, even as the most talented passed away and retired like fifteen/twenty years ago! 

You do have a good point that. The early 2000s was a perfect time to usher in the next generation of writers that was outside of soap opera circles but they chose to go the some chose to go the nepotism route (Days and B&B) and other just recycled writers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad Mal is out! The new team confuses me more than anything. How crazy is it that all this started with Sally getting fired and now her husband is executive producer?! I feel like he’s been at Y&R for ages so I don’t mind, but Josh Griffith again?! Could be worse, but both of his stints were dark and very dull IMO. Considering Morina is EP I wouldn’t mind if he could rope his wife or Alden in as Co-HW. That could work. Sussman’s knowledge of history and the characters could mesh well with Griffith’s more plot driven style. Could balance each other out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khan said:

 

In a perfect world, one where CBS and Sony place a decent HW and EP at the helm and then decide on a "hands-off" approach to running Y&R, I would say yes, but not to expect any miracles right away.  The incoming HW and/or EP would need at least six months to straighten out the current storylines and such before implementing any changes that would bring back "our Y&R" in some fashion.

 

 

 

Admittedly, I've not watched since July, but thanks to you kind folks, I keep an ear on the show with your recaps and posts. I believe the pieces are there to be able to pull this show out of the depths. There are many talented actors on the roster. No doubt, a number of been lost in a short period, and I know it's tough to spin silk, but with the right guidance, there could be some light at the end of the tunnel.

 

I feel that this is a step in the right direction, but perhaps that's just a bit of naivety. 

 

I imagine I'm not the only one who was doing a bunch of eye rolls reading Mr. Young's reasoning for leaving. "The time is right...can't spend too much time at one place..." Heh. Okies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember years ago I went to that soap writer’s panel with Claire Labine, David Kreizman, Shelly Altman, and others, and an audience member asked how a newcomer might break into soaps. Altman basically said something to the effect of soaps are dying and writing roles are harder to come by. So tough sh!t, folks, we’re not relinquishing our positions to make room for you noobs. It was a very brazen, if refreshingly honest, response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Messa fans are worrying that JG might kill Tessa off or break up that couple. They are going through JG's past storylines on Days and Y&R in order to predict what he might do when he starts writing for Y&R again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think Mal Young was responsible for the repairing of Sharon's character... Altman started the ball rolling with Sussman eventually taking the ball, that Pratt refused to inherit from Altman, to repair Sharon.

 

And I would welcome DD back only if the writers come to their senses and break up Lauren/Michael and reunite Lauren/Paul.

Edited by Soaplovers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone remind me of Josh’s stories? I think he might’ve been really boring if I remember correctly. The same names get passed around so much it’s hard for me to remember what they wrote and where.

 

If Josh is the one to finally kill Tessa, he’ll be a success in my book.

Edited by Antoyne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sivad40 said:

Messa fans are worrying that JG might kill Tessa off or break up that couple. They are going through JG's past storylines on Days and Y&R in order to predict what he might do when he starts writing for Y&R again.

 

Without a champion higher up, that's a high probability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

Can someone remind me of Josh’s stories? I think he might’ve been really boring if I remember correctly. The same names get passed around so much it’s hard for me to remember what they wrote and where.

 

If Josh is the one to finally kill Tessa, he’ll be a success in my book.

You and me both. It's truly musical chairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Costello said:

Remember years ago I went to that soap writer’s panel with Claire Labine, David Kreizman, Shelly Altman, and others, and an audience member asked how a newcomer might break into soaps. Altman basically said something to the effect of soaps are dying and writing roles are harder to come by. So tough sh!t, folks, we’re not relinquishing our positions to make room for you noobs. It was a very brazen, if refreshingly honest, response.

 

Gotta appreciate the honesty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

Josh already HW Y&R and it was awful. There is nothing to cheer about in the news. Mal is gone but Josh is no better. Josh is only good as a SW.

He's proven to be (often) an excellent co-HW or associate HW under Malone.  But that's... really it.  (and I firmly believe some people are *great* at one position and not at another--everyone in the bizz seems to think Passanante was the best breakdown writer there was when she was in that position at OLTL, and we all know what has happened when she's been promoted.

I'm a casual Y&r viewer but I actually thought Mal's Y&R, while far far far far far far far from great, was finally starting to kinda gel.  Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve said all I can and am willing to regarding Mal Young (both his history on British TV and on Y&R) so I won’t be going over it again- especially when others do it better.

 

My views on Josh Griffith are also stated elsewhere on here. I’m one of the few people who quite likes his sensibilities, and one or two pretty serious and ultimately fatal missteps aside- Hope killing Stefano in cold blood and the rape of Ciara- I liked his darker take on Days Of Our Lives.

 

But as the saying goes, ‘once bitten, twice shy’. The show has been systematically dismantled since 2006, and it’s almost at the point of no return, so I will not be returning to the show just yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...