US Soap General Discussion

• Members

I watched an episode of Young and the Restless and was surprised how much better the production values of that show are compared to Days of Our Lives. I wonder what the reason is for this, is it simply budget?

What is TYATR like as a show, is it much different to Days?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Essentially, no.  Both shows tend toward romantic storytelling, in the literary sense, meaning an emphasis on emotions over intellect.  In fact, Gary Tomlin, who has both written for and produced DAYS in years past, has referred to the latter series as "Y&R on speed."

Also, it's always worth mentioning that William J. Bell, who co-created Y&R w/ his wife, was DAYS' head writer from 1966 to 1975, and next to James E. Reilly, its' most influential on the series, and the genre as a whole.

• Members

Are you watching current Y&R?

Because to me Days, GH and Y&R all look and sound about the same level of quality now. Whereas 5 short years  ago, and the 40 years before that, Y&R was head and shoulders above the rest.

• Members

Y&R was, until relatively recently, the 'classiest' soap and among the most grounded, with a very rarefied air and sensibility. DAYS has been a psychotic circus of camp, dopplegangers, demonic possession, etc. for the better part of 25 years.

Y&R is still top rated, though creatively and in some ways production-wise it's fallen to the level of the other weaker shows in the last ten years. It still has a fair amount of its old budget and numbers, but it's a long, long way from the creative and money giant it once was. But in an industry now confined simply to four bad shows that still makes it the default 'top soap'.

• Members

Thanks guys

Please register in order to view this content

It was a current episode, I'm not sure how anyone could think Y&R and Days look the same. Days looks like it was made on a budget of 1 dollar, Y&R looks miles ahead in terms of production values and it's very clear to me that's the reason why it's the top US soap.

Days has that artificial yellow studio lighting with everything so bright, it looks like natural daylight in the Y&R scenes. To me current Days episodes look like they were shot in the 80s whereas Y&R looks current.

I won't be watching Y&R long-term as I like Days but I wish Days had the production quality of Y&R.

• Members

I suggest you look at any episode of Y&R made before 2005 and see if you hold the same opinion.

B&B is the only soap left with anything close to high production values and that’s probably only because it’s 30 minutes.

• Members

Funny you mention that. Days Of Our Lives had a period from about 2007-2008 (I can be corrected) when the production values were pretty high and very different. The lighting was darker at that point. One of the Executive Producers was Ed Scott, formerly of The Young and the Restless. 

Of course, that was likely before a pickaxe was taken to the budget.

Archived