US Soap General Discussion

• Members

I was just going to say B&B is the best-produced soap.  The outside shots are real, and the sets are beautiful, and the fact that they have their real city in the background (LA) it makes it more believable.  I just wish we had the writing to match the production.  (And some acting)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not as bad as DAYS but still looks like a stage play

I don't know how anyone would be confused between Y&R and GH and DAYS. Clearly Y&R has the bigger budget of the 3. And ya'll talking about the lights being so bring on DAYS. It looks dark as hell every time I catch it on the TV at work. And yes it looks like one of those public access dramas from the 90s. 

• Members

Speaking of DOOL and TYATR (thank you @Edward Skylover ), what's the deal with Eileen Davidson? So she isn't on either show now? What a loss. Seeing SH as Susan today was... an experience. I predict she's going to get some glamorous makeover complete with elocution lessons, or at least I hope so. While a gig is a gig, no self-respecting actor wants to play another actor's creation to the point of imitation.

• Members

But where would I get my American soap fix?  

But I'm not talking about previous eras. If we're looking at the current TV landscape, Y&R has better production values than Days by a very long way.

I don't think he's famous in the UK. At least his sitcoms aren't. I just looked him up on Wikipedia and it looks like he'd only be known from his film work.

From the UK  I don't think Y&R is broadcast here.

Good question, I've never seen that, I'm gonna have a look now.

Interesting, I'd love to see some clips of this era if anyone has any links  

Last I saw B&B (due to Ashleigh Brewer being on it of Neighbours fame) the lighting was bad like Days. I might take another look as it's been a year or 2 since I last saw it.

What were ATWT and GL getting when they were cancelled?

Dark?? To compare, here is a screenshot of A] Days, B] Y&R and C] Home and Away. I get what you're saying about Days being dark; in the sense that there's not enough 'natural' light, I guess when I say it's too bright I mean there is too much of that artificial yellow studio lighting. In comparison, Home and Away and  Y&R look very realistic.

ETA It won't let me upload 3 pictures.

• Members

Thanks, I have an account on there but I couldn't figure out how to get the pics to post properly. Figured it out now. So here they are; Days, Y&R and H&A:

Please register in order to view this content

Such a massive difference in quality between the shows.

Archived