Days actor exit!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nichols is 67 and had his time.  I am all for supporting vets, but soaps have to evolve and they can't do that if they keep all the cast at their old rate.  At some point, these vets have to pass the torch.  SN over played his hand.  His contract expired in March, yet he agreed to re-sign in May.  By that time, the money was already spent on someone else. 

70% of something is a whole helluva lot better than 100% of nothing! 

• Members

Come on, that's a big paycut, god forbid the guy try to negotiate. And I'm sure he's already not making as much as he did in the 80s or 90s. I don't even think he should be on the show but looking at the sad bunch of characters currently frontburner on Days I'd put more value in him than any of them.

• Members

i understand the shows needing to make cuts because budgets overall are being slashed. However, if your employer came to you and said they'll only keep you if you agree to do the same amount of work for 30% less, otherwise they'll let you go....what would your reaction be?? It's just a sad situation all around. It definitely isn't the 80's for soaps anymore. 

• Members

Honestly, I don't feel bad for him. He overplayed his worth by not signing in time. C'mon he's been in the business for a long time and knows how it works. SN is NOT a leading man - even as a senior.

Guess what? This version of DAYS has constantly brings familiar actors back for short arcs as a way to manage the budget and work within the guarantees of the contract actors. I'm sure he'll be back. 

After all, DAYS is a show that has to film 6 months in advance to stay viable, which is a huge disadvantage since the producers and writers have to guess what stories/characters will resonate.  Unlike, say, B&B which is able to flip bad stories or extend good ones within a month based on viewer feedback. 

• Members

I must disagree with whoever said Stephen Nichols was not a leading man. He was one half of a pairing that took Days to #1 when Steve/Kayla married, knocking, I believe, Y&R out of the top perch for that week. Sure, maybe it was just a week, but the truth is, his character - and his pairing with Kayla - started with the character as a dayplayer hood. So, apparently, some thought the character could lead. And he did.

Maybe he overestimated his worth in this day and age, but  then, soaps stopped hiring actors and went for pretty boys and girls that couldn't act if their lives depended upon it ages ago.

Good luck to him. Just sucks that Jack and Steve won't be on screen together.

Archived