Dancing with the Stars: Discussion Thread

• Members

Given  how many years it took Strictly, I could see it happening here as well, but both shows are completely  hollowed out and overproduced to the point of parody at this point. The main difference is that  Strictly at least had the decency to only spend one year trying to rehab a far right  figure. DWTS doing this over and over and over and over is one of the reasons I quit.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sigh. How far this show has fallen.

The show's lack of budget is hurting. They did slightly better with 'GREASE Night' (felt very UK Strictly of a choice but I liked it - something different). Shout out to 80 year old Frankie Avalon. He's aged so well and sounded amazing. Kudos to him!

You can tell Tyra got the memo to be more friendly and try to build a rapport with the stars but she's just so bad at it. She does seem a little more comfortable.

Len - lord you HAD ONE JOB LAST NIGHT. Olivia Jade still here irks me to no end. Melanie C. was [!@#$%^&*] robbed. Retire now Len.

Gleb is hot and I like him but I worried about Mel C. going the distance with him. He just doesn't 'stand out' and he doesn't push his partners. 

The show also feels sooooo rushed. The flow is horrible and choppy. They cram too many couples into a two hour show, plus fluff. We barely get rehearsal footage (I'm ok with that as it was overdone in the past but a balance would be nice). The elimination is horribly rushed.

If the goal was to dismantle and kill the show, they're doing a good job. 

What they really want or need to be at this point is an edited show. All of the terrible cuts and flow problems would be solved if they were no longer 'live'. 

I think you can also tell the audience isn't connecting with some of the newer dancers. You have to have the right celebrity partner and dance skill to stand out. Take Daniella and Iman (she's an example of standing out when we don't even know her and winning over the audience). Who is she though? Who is Pasha? Who is Gleb? 

We got to know Val, Cheryl and Derek, etc. We got to know Sasha because he refused to be hidden. Same for Jenna. Brandon is getting there. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I think it’s a huge problem with the show. The newer professional dancers haven’t been properly introduced. In the past, we had the two episodes a week, which gave them more space to do more professionals-only dance performances, etc. I almost feel like they should cut the cast to 10 or fewer due to the fewer episodes. It would feel less rushed. 

Interestingly, DWTS beat The Voice on Monday in the demo and tied with 9-1-1 for tops on the night. The Voice tends to wane after the blind auditions, but still. 

• Members

I feel the Voice is growing tired. It's an aging show at this point. It happens to them all. I've always argued you can't run two seasons a year for months at a time for these types of shows. It has to be 'event' television. These are no longer 'event television'. 

I agree on cutting the pairs down to 10 if they're sticking to this 'format' they have now. Otherwise it's going to continue being a mess. 4 judges also doesn't work as much as I'd like it too (TBH, I doubt they 'replace' Len if he sits out again or leaves so I can see just having 3 again). Something's gotta give.

The 'packages' are also becoming more forced IMO.

They really haven't done a proper job introducing us to the newer pros. Keo totally faded out. Gleb has struggled (though he's just so quiet as a person anyway). Lindsay and Witney they seem to take or leave. 

I just felt more of an investment in these people once upon a time. The pandemic restrictions certainly haven't helped (but are necessary of course) with the feel of the show. People around the stage this season helps with that. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

They also dumped Tom/Erin and brought in Tyra in their first pandemic season. Getting rid of the tried and true at the very time when the public needed someone beloved and familiar was just stupid.

I also think it was the wrong move to pair up Sharna with her real life boyfriend, Brian Austin Green. To me, that's crossing a line. I don't want professional and personal lives to blur in the dance pairings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Please register in order to view this content

This show is SO poorly produced these days. They had so much filler during the finale, including a long clip package at the end, that they nearly ran out of time before Tyra even announced the winners. (They were running the end credits before she opened the envelope, then the mirrorball trophy was all the way across the stage. Tyra was like, “Oh wait, I need to give them the trophy!” ABC cut to The Good Doctor before that even happened. )

Edited by Faulkner

• 3 months later...